SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooo.

Replaced disks and rotors on all 4 corners, primarily because I thought it would fix this problem, but also because the rotors were way rusted up and the pads needed replacing.

Brakes are still dragging, needless to say. Had a suspicion that something was going on with the e-brake, so I haven't been using it, but I'm beginning to doubt that is the issue.

Both times it happened, it was under very weird and specific circumstances. I live in Florida, and today was particularly hot. They didn't drag on the way in to work, which is a 1 hour drive. I even drove around town a bit, talked to a guy about a windshield.

Got back to work, parked. Car sat for ~3 hours in the sun. Leaving work, the brakes were very clearly dragging, driving through the parking lot, and in a 40mph zone. Stopped in a parking lot, and like a dunce I touched one front rotor with the back of a finger while trying to see how hot it was (don't need that bit of skin anymore anyway).

I had cold water in a cup, splashed a little on the rotors. Front ones the water instantly flashed in a pop. Rear rotors fizzed for a bit, so they were definitely cooler.

Not sure where to go from here. Change brake fluid? Rebuild calipers? Master cylinder?

Been having so many problems with this car. I love it so, but it's starting to kill me.

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
More verbosity please?
What Qwik is saying is to replace the sticking calipers. Honestly, on an 8 year old car it’s not a bad idea anyway given how cheap remanufactured calipers are for your car (only $40 per side after core charge refund).
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saab,2011,9-5,2.8l+v6+turbocharged,1447835,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

Also, throwing cold water on a smoking hot brake disc is a really bad idea (right up there with touching it... lol). You may have warped the disc, so you will need to check it out. Since the caliper is coming off, you may want to plan on replacing the affected rotors too (or even just have them turned down if possible).

Lastly, calipers head south because people do not replace their brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water over time. This leads to corrosion internally. So, flush your brake system every 2-3 years with fresh DOT4 fluid to keep things working well (obviously much more often on a car that sees race track use).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Qwik for the suggestion, and Josh for the detailed explanation. I appreciate both responses. I'll grab a pair of those reman calipers for certain, and take the rotors to the local shop to have them turned as necessary. I'll also do the flush of brake fluid, I have the equipment.

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
Thank you Qwik for the suggestion, and Josh for the detailed explanation. I appreciate both responses. I'll grab a pair of those reman calipers for certain, and take the rotors to the local shop to have them turned as necessary. I'll also do the flush of brake fluid, I have the equipment.
Happy to help. I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up changing the rear calipers at some point. I ended doing the ones on my Aero a few years back since people don’t always exercise the parking brake, and it’s integral to the rear calipers. So if its a pain to retract the parking brake pistons when changing the pads, it’s easy and cheap to install reman calipers instead. ;ol;

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Happy to help. I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up changing the rear calipers at some point. I ended doing the ones on my Aero a few years back since people don’t always exercise the parking brake, and it’s integral to the rear calipers. So if its a pain to retract the parking brake pistons when changing the pads, it’s easy and cheap to install reman calipers instead. ;ol;
all Joshinators posts on this subject are 100%

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi , I believe there is a problem in hot climates with the brakes dragging due to the brake pedal pivot sticking in its bushing, I would suggest doing some internet searches for this before replacing more parts, some people say that you can pull the pedal up when the dragging happens and this will release the brakes. worth trying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
for future reference a sticking caliper will not be healed by changing pads and rotors. that wheel that burned your finger is likely the caliper that is dragging. hopefully you are able to swap it out before ruining your new rotors and pads.

overheated rotors will give you the shimmies and shakes when stopping.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
hi , I believe there is a problem in hot climates with the brakes dragging due to the brake pedal pivot sticking in its bushing, I would suggest doing some internet searches for this before replacing more parts, some people say that you can pull the pedal up when the dragging happens and this will release the brakes. worth trying.
Only one word: Nonsense !

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts