SaabCentral Forums banner

Brakes and Oil light?!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bkrell 
#1 ·
I noticed today after someone cut my off..that when I slam on the brakes, the oil light comes on for a second when braking is hardest..then goes off.

Anyone know what that is?

Is the oil light indicative of low oil?

#2 ·
Oil light is indicative of low oil pressure. Probably not good

#4 · (Edited)
Could this be because my oil is nearing it's 5,000 miles? I have oil change due tomorrow and this is freaking me out (specially since I hear these Viggens as being temperamental and premature failure).

I'll have to let them know..

If you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know..because I'm sure the Dealer will pull some stupid crap on me

Hey, would low oil do this? It is nearing it's interval for oil and I didn't top it off...

-Avinash (is very worried)

#6 ·
This is a wild, out-of-my-tail guess, but...

Could jamming on the brakes force the oil to the front of the pan, away from the pick up tube, causing a momentary drop in oil supply? Maybe with low oil, this effect would be amplified?

:eek:

#7 ·
The oil was low barely hitting the bottom of the dipstick. There is a little white in my oil, like..VERY little. I saw it initially when i pulled the dipstick out..what is that?

Topped the oil off and it doesn't show the light anymore

#8 ·
avixcore said:
The oil was low barely hitting the bottom of the dipstick. There is a little white in my oil, like..VERY little. I saw it initially when i pulled the dipstick out..what is that?

Topped the oil off and it doesn't show the light anymore
That was the answer, then.
The oil level was too low for spirited driving...
The oil should be changed every 3 to 4 months or so, every 5K is risky..
When I changed the oil in the 900S, about 2.5 liter was drained - easy to measure, this was after 4K miles.
But the oil light never glowed, but , I never "slam on" the brakes either..

I would worry about a partially clogged oil screen however..During this rather long oil drain interval, are there any short runs where the oil never reaches operating temperature... ?? This is, IMO, the primary reason for sludging - that and too long (6 month -7,500 mile intervals)..

#9 ·
My car is almost at 29K miles. It has usually been serviced VERY early. I changed my oil every 2K miles at one point. In fact, I got so paranoid I changed my oil within one week of trying 15W-50. There aren't short RUNS persay..but I did start my car for about 1 minute to put the top up when it was cold (it had been sitting for 2 hours).

Is it times like that, that contribute to sludging?

I didn't know I could have sludge so early. This has been the longest interval for me personally because I had to go upstate in an emergency for business and didn't have time for an oil change. It's a 375 mile trip, so double that, add some miles and I'm at 28,8xx. I'm headed for an oil change today since all this is worrying the heck out of me.

Thanks for helping though, because every since I got my first SAAB I've been paranoid about every single little thing that arises.

-Avinash

#12 ·
Yep, I think Mike and Earthy are spot on. Sounds like the hard braking is moving the oil away from the pickup and temporarily starving the engine. This is why pans (do ours?) pans have baffles, to keep the oil from clibing up the side of the pan, away from the pickup. If you already are low on oil and/or have a partially clogged pick screen, the hard braking will exacerbate your troubles.

As for an oil rec., currently I have in the Mobil 1 5W40. Better start up and not quite as thick as the 15W50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.