SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a warning light that periodically flickers on and off. I checked the brake fluid and it looks just a little low. I've never done anything with brake fluid, what type should I get?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Our specs call for "DOT 4 brake fluid". That is basically a temperature spec.

To top off, it is always best to use whatever fluid is in the system now. If you don't know what was put in, use a fluid which is labeled compatible with other brake fluids. For example, Valvoline SynPower Brake fluid is relatively cheap, mixes well with other brake fluid, has decent specifications, and you can get it in any auto part store.

Do not use fluid that has been sitting on someone's garage shelf open for months, brake fluid absorbs some misture from the air, and it is best to use a fresh un-opened bottle.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not favor " topping off" the brake fluid; the level should be between the min and max lines depending on how much the pads are worn down.

Saab should use a much larger reservoir with much more pronounced level lines..This will make it easier when fluid changing time rolls around...

The dash cluster brake warning light .. Is that for the fluid or the handbrake being on ???

·
Registered
167 Posts
On my '97 900s there is a one light for the parking brake and one for the "normal" brakes. They are located right next to each other, so I really have to pay attention to know which is lit. The Parking light has a P in the middle while the "normal" light has a B.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Thanks, Frogdude, I'll have to check this out, I may have a burned out bulb for all I know..:cheesy:

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
earthworm said:
I do not favor " topping off" the brake fluid; the level should be between the min and max lines depending on how much the pads are worn down. . .
Agreed. When one tops up the reservoir to full with pads that are near fully worn down, and then when one goes to change the pads and (nearly invariably) compresses the pistons without opening the caliper bleed screw, all that fluid is gonna gush up and out of the reservoir and run down the surface of the brake booster and strip the black paint right off of it, where it will now rust. Guaranteed.
Now if your reservoir has somehow gotten below the minimum level, the foregoing is not of concern. Top it up. Gushing fluid during a brake pad change is less "bad" than crashing. Seriously.

·
Registered
719 Posts
straycatkid said:
I have a warning light that periodically flickers on and off. I checked the brake fluid and it looks just a little low. I've never done anything with brake fluid, what type should I get?

Thanks
I am not in favor of just topping off. One Italian system manufacturer states their min / max on their resevoirs are there for pad wear indication only. Are your pads worn and need replaced, are you developing a leak in the system? Understand first than add or add than understand, just don't add and forget... Also DOT 4 (even syn 4) fluids used in most ABS applications have a recomended PM for good reasons. Do not use DOT 5 as it is not compatible with DOT 4 or 3 nor should it be used in an ABS equipped vehicle. My $.02

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If your brake light is on and your fluid level is low then top it up with DOT4.

You may want to inspect your brake linings soon but for the time being, top up your brake fluid. Otherwise air may enter the braking system and that is far worse than depleted pad linings.

If the level continues to drop then a full inspection of the lines and hoses needs to be carried out urgently to ascertain if there is a leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts