SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I am neww to this forum but not new to SAAB. At this point I own 2 SAAB 93's. One is a 2000 convertible with no issues. The second is a 2003 93 linear.

The 2003 has been a challenge with many issues. Currently at 52K miles and three months out or warranty I developed an oil leak. The dealer replaced a vacuum pump seal and charged me $155. Go the car home and for some reason told my duaghter not to drive it. That was a good thing becuse the repaired drip turned in to a full puddle of oil on the floor leak. Now the dealer wants an addtional $295 to replace the break vacuum pump. THey said that the seal works for most repairs. Very painful experience!!!!

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

Al

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I guess I don't understand what's going on, because it sounds like two separate problems.

1) brake booster vacuum seal - this would affect the brake assist mechanism. It would be harder to press the brakes. But I don't see how that would leak oil.

2) Oil leak

Do we have a separate vacuum pump for the brakes? And that has oil passages and gets bolted to the block? I thought the brake booster had a vacuum reservoir connected to the manifold. I know there is a check valve, but I don't remember tracing the vac line back to the block.

Ahh! Found my answer. Boy I miss Nimisys:cry:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65681&highlight=brake+vacuum+pump

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Push the dealer for a "good faith" repair oow for these items.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ctrlz said:
Do we have a separate vacuum pump for the brakes? And that has oil passages and gets bolted to the block? I thought the brake booster had a vacuum reservoir connected to the manifold. I know there is a check valve, but I don't remember tracing the vac line back to the block.

Ahh! Found my answer. Boy I miss Nimisys:cry:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65681&highlight=brake+vacuum+pump
We certainly do! It's the sliver cylindrical thing bolted on the end of the exhaust camshaft.

On normally aspirated engines the brake booster gets its vacuum from inlet manifold depression. This is possible because in a normally aspirated engine the inlet manifold is always under a vacuum when the engine is running (but the pressure varies with engine speed).

In a turbocharged engine the inlet manifold can be under vacuum or under pressure (boost condition), so constant vacuum pressure to the booster diaphragm is not possible. This is why we need a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. Dealer is working on some concessions. The pump did need replacing. Glad it happened in the garage instead of when my daughter was driving it.

Regards,

Al

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Yeah where is Nimisys?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts