SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the forums and google, I can't seem to find a good set of slotted rotors for my 86 (old style wheel). I find plenty of vented, but no slotted and if I'm going to change out my rotors, I figure I should prog upgrade while I'm at it.

Thanks and I hope this isn't a repost. Not from what I searched anyway.

·
Banned
637 Posts
You will get a MUCH better 'improvement' from upograding the Pads.. Pagid, EBC or Ferrodo come to mind. Not cheap though :)
Altered rotors will give little if any significant improvement.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Formula one cars dont have grooved or slotted disc do they?

I use the Standard Euro parts pads and i dont recommend them, very poor bite and they glaze like crazy.

Only when there warm do they start to give me a sense that i can stop quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
  • brake pads don't give off gas, haven't for years.
  • slotted rotors are not necessary on a street car.
  • put some regular rotors on the car and be happy.
  • listen to basre if you have your car on a track.
  • engineers trump strangers for performance facts.

·
Registered
226 Posts
> Formula one cars dont have grooved or slotted disc do they?

Australian V8 Touring cars use slotted-only (rather than slotted/cross drilled) discs; despite being hell-boring Falcon/Bommodore V8s, they're still 1300 kilo supercars capable over over 300kph, so I don't think they make do with second-rate braking hardware ;-)

My understanding is that cross drilling can weaken the discs, cause cracking, etc... slotting prevents pad glazing, gets them up to temp sooner, and aids degassing/cooling if that is an issue with modern pads.

I fitted RDA slotted discs to my Aero when upgrading to 9000 calipers (with EBC Road pads) and the braking performance is vastly improved... the rotors also look trick. Best of all the rotors were no more expensive than OEM replacements.

Cheers, Ben.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
wikkedsnaab said:
> Formula one cars dont have grooved or slotted disc do they?

Australian V8 Touring cars use slotted-only (rather than slotted/cross drilled) discs; despite being hell-boring Falcon/Bommodore V8s, they're still 1300 kilo supercars capable over over 300kph, so I don't think they make do with second-rate braking hardware ;-)

My understanding is that cross drilling can weaken the discs, cause cracking, etc... slotting prevents pad glazing, gets them up to temp sooner, and aids degassing/cooling if that is an issue with modern pads.

I fitted RDA slotted discs to my Aero when upgrading to 9000 calipers (with EBC Road pads) and the braking performance is vastly improved... the rotors also look trick. Best of all the rotors were no more expensive than OEM replacements.

Cheers, Ben.
I would love to upgarde my brake disc and pads, but finding better parts at a good price is the problem, i would say Saab 900 dont have great breaks compared to modern sporty cars in general, just an example but one of my friends has a newish BMW a 325 something, very nice car and i took it for a spin and noticed how much stopping power it had! amazing really, disc size was 250mm i think, vented with cross drilled and slotted.

Hondas use very hard break pad from the factory and they have an amazing life span but not so great breaking.

I am not sure but dont touring cars have 6 pot callipers? with 300mm disc, i think racing breaks work at high temperatures and road cars need breaks that work a lower temps, i could be wrong?

Would you say the 9000 calipers are better or stronger than the 900 calipers?

I am thinking about buying the Euro car parts disc with the strange atomic grooves that are 3 dancing rings basically, anybody rate these?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Keep in mind that a slotted disk helps with deglazing by shearing off some of your pad. You'll be changing out brake pads sooner.

Also, the braking power of classic 900's is more related to the power of the driver's braking leg. Yeah, we have a brake booster, but modern cars have much more assistance.:)

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I very much agree with you on the extra ware and tear from the grooves, i get a lots of dust from non slotted standrad disc and i think my pads are a made from something very solid.

I also have normal road tyres normal Avons in a 195,60,15, not budget tyres but not high performance Potenzas. that are 205 or 225 like most fast road cars.

Also i think Saabs dont have the stiffest suspension in the world which also makes a difference in breaking distance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 9000 calipers are hugely more capable than the original 900 items... the piston is bigger, and they take a much larger pad (probably their main advantage). A pair of post '91 9000 calipers can be had for next to nothing at the wreckers, rebuilt for the cost of a couple of seals and some assembly lube and bolted straight on with only a little metalwork around the splashguard and some IBS H 7087 brake lines - very simple stuff.
{see pic}

Road pads (just like road tyres) are designed to warm up quicker and provide optimum grip at lower temperatures - at the cost of heat resistance. Race/track stuff has higher heat resistance but does so at the cost of having a generally higher "working heat range". Hence why race brakes/pads/tyres on road cars is a generally bad idea.

I actually find the brakes in new Saabs (and some other Euro cars) to be absolutely awful... they're powerful but feel "sticky"... it is hard to come to a smooth rest as they grab when moving slowly and make awful groaning noises. I also believe modern cars use softer rotor material too to aid in braking power... a friend with a Bimmer 3 series killed a set of rotors within a year, and he drives very smoothly and carefully.

Ben.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
wikkedsnaab said:
The 9000 calipers are hugely more capable than the original 900 items... the piston is bigger, and they take a much larger pad (probably their main advantage). A pair of post '91 9000 calipers can be had for next to nothing at the wreckers, rebuilt for the cost of a couple of seals and some assembly lube and bolted straight on with only a little metalwork around the splashguard and some IBS H 7087 brake lines - very simple stuff.
{see pic}
9000 Calipers are great if you have a post 88 900. 4saabstoomany has an 86 900, so unless a post 88 brake upgrade is done, 9000 calipers are not an option.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I have the brembo rotors and pads on my vented 87 900s..they stop fantastic...
come to think of it,those are just on the front..I have no Idea the wear on the rear brakes...

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Your have brembo rotors! must have been costly, would you say changing the disc is the best or a new caliper? if changing one is the only option?

• My 900 is a 1990 so i guess i can have the 9000 calipers, i am was surprised at how small the pads are in the 900.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Your have brembo rotors! must have been costly, would you say changing the disc is the best or a new caliper? if changing one is the only option?
  • My 900 is a 1990 so i guess i can have the 9000 calipers, i am was surprised at how small the pads are in the 900.
Brembo rotors for the pre 88 c900 are only $22.00 USD.

I would check out Zimmerman Drilled Rotors for post 88.

ZIMMERMAN - Made in Germany by Zimmerman, a large original equipment brake supplier. Excellent Quality products.

ZD - Zimmerman Cross-Drilled rotors. These rotors are drilled by machine and are priced economically. They are designed for superb stopping power and longevity. They resist warpage because of excellent heat dissipation. Highly recommended over the stock rotors if you prefer performance rotors. These high quality rotors are made in Germany by Zimmerman, a large original equipment brake supplier. Zimmerman cross drilled rotors feature chamfered holes to ensure maximum performance with minimal pad wear.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I too am looking to upgrade my brakes on my 88. I was planning to get some group9 brembo cross drilled roters. Does anybody have experience with these rotors, I mean are they any good?

Also they offer cross drilled an slotted, I don't know wether I should get both or just cross drilled.

·
Registered
491 Posts
muhawalter said:
I too am looking to upgrade my brakes on my 88. I was planning to get some group9 brembo cross drilled roters. Does anybody have experience with these rotors, I mean are they any good?

Also they offer cross drilled an slotted, I don't know wether I should get both or just cross drilled.
I don't know what your budget is... But if you have a post 88 C900, I would go with the Zimmerman's. I know a lot of folks who have them, and swear by them.

I'm going to upgrade my brakes to post 88 brakes, and will use the Zimmerman's.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The group9 sets are brembo rotors. My budget is going to be the cost of the group9 set or less (about $400) which includes all rotors (rear and front) and all pads. Any place anybody knows a place that has the best price on zimmermans?

·
Registered
491 Posts
muhawalter said:
Any place anybody knows a place that has the best price on zimmermans?
Check out www.thesaabsite.com Less than $300 WITH Ceramic pads...

900 87-94 Front Rotor Cross Drilled SET ZD4002150 $ 118.00
900 88-94 Rear Rotor Cross Drilled Set of 2 ZD8970717 $ 90.00

900 88-94 Front Brake Pads 4107116 CeramicD439ULX $ 45.00
900 88-94 Rear Brake Pads 8968026 CeramicD322ULX $ 36.00

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I can recommend those Saabsite guys, very informative and know there Saabs very well.

The price is not the best but if your in a pickle and need it fast there good.

There are some people selling whole break kits, FR disc, S/G with pads! for only $220 on Ebay, :eek:

I am thinking about buying them and giving them a test, if i do i will post some pics and my personal review.

Whats the general recommendation for pads on Saabs?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts