SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently replaced rear pads and rotors... when I took off the rotors I lost some brake shoe with them. Didn't have the parts for the shoes so finished my pad/rotor job, but now basically have no handbrake. The star adjuster works, but without actual material on the shoes... not much good.

I have the parts (new shoes) now... but can't seem to find a DIY guide, FAQ or time estimate for this job.

Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Ugh. It's a bear. Similar thing happened to me, when removing the rotor for a change I pulled the shoes off the springs and clips that hold them in. Was a huge pain getting them back on.

WIS does have a procedure that is pretty basic, it does not give much instruction (it's basically remove and replace). The trick is the brake shoe retaining springs are pretty much covered up by the wheel bearing hub! It is a total pain to work in between. I almost removed the wheel bearing to service them. The saab special tools (you can see a picture in the WIS) looks like they might help quite a bit.

I wonder if you could just adjust the shoe out to be a bit more effective? Is the whole friction material gone from one of the shoes? It's just a parking brake so while metal on metal wouldnt be the best holding force, it would probably work in most cases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts