SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do a brake overhaul and wanted to find out which brake shoe set fellow owners are going with or which ones to stay away from.

Looks like we've got: Monroe, Raybestos, Centric, "Satisfied Brakes", "Professional Parts Sweden, Silencer & Wagner.

Any preferences? Thanks

·
Registered
867 Posts
I went with Akebonos and really like them 35k later. They don't have the bite of other pads but there's zero dust and they've worn in nicely with no A-typical gouging or damage to rotors.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, I'm going with Akebono's for my pads all around, but I was wondering what everyone is doing for the rear drum Shoes. Even though the parking brake shoes don't get used much, at 134K miles, I should probably swap them out...any recommendations regarding shoes?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks Paul, I'm going with Akebono's for my pads all around, but I was wondering what everyone is doing for the rear drum Shoes. Even though the parking brake shoes don't get used much, at 134K miles, I should probably swap them out...any recommendations regarding shoes?
Doh. I used centric for shoes and so far so good - 22k or so.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
I got Mintex for the front for $19.99 from ebay. Plenty of stopping power and fade resistance when towing 4200 lbs with a little dust which I would call normal as I drive mostly highway but do clean the wheels once a week.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I've got the same car as you and love my the akebono's on the front, haven't gotten around/needed to do the rears yet, but will replace those with the ake's as well for sure!

I agree they don't have the MOST bite of any pad I've ever used, but they are fine for daily driving and produce NO dust, which is great if you like shiny wheels :)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I got Mintex for the front for $19.99 from ebay. Plenty of stopping power and fade resistance when towing 4200 lbs with a little dust which I would call normal as I drive mostly highway but do clean the wheels once a week.
I installed Mintex pads on my old 2000 9-5 at around 85K miles, and continued using this brand of pads until 300Kmiles (more than one set naturally). They sure stopped the car nice, much better than the Akebono Euros I eventually replaced them with.

Brake dust with Mintex pads was not as bad as the 2000 OEM pads but they still dirtied the wheels, and I think they ate rotors quickly too. The biggest advantage of the Akebonos is zero dust. Braking is OK with the Akebonos but not nearly as good as the Mintex.

$20 is a fantastic price! I think the least I ever paid was around $60 for the fronts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts