SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i have been poking around and searching and havent really found a definite answer quite yet...I would like to put a big brake kit on my aero and am looking for the best bang for the buck (obviously). I work at a shop so i have all the tools i could need and can also get any factory caliper and rotor assembly new from parts suppliers...so the question is...when looking at brembos or big sport kits that come on cars from the factory, does anyone know what can fit on my saab without too much hassle? I have 19 inch wheels so clearance shouldnt be an issue...any ideas and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
For both mine and my sons car we:

• Started by finding some calipers cheap (ebay).

• Lose the backing plate

• Then we sourced a spare hub to make a jig.
  • Sourced the largest disc to fit both the caliper and wheels

• Had the discs machined to fit the hub
  • Using the jig, had the caliper carriers made up
  • Change the brake fluid to 5.1 spec
  • Uprate brake lines where possible

Thats it.

But you should consider a few things:

• If the disc is heavily machined to fit, will you be able to source replacements easily?
  • You really dont "need" huge calipers, old skool Brembo 4 pots are just as effective (if not more) than the new ightweight alloy 6 pots from Asia
  • Find out how much the pads will be for your chosen calipers before you buy and also find out what cars have that caliper.
e.g. My sons car has some lovely WP Pro calipers - WP want £130 GBP for the pads. The same caliper is on the rear of a Noble M12, and the pads are £60 GBP - it pays to research!

• If you can, match the pad compound front and rear on the car, if your front big kit's pads are rubbish from cold, the rear pads will over work - been there :roll:
Last of all, anything can be made to fit, if you know the right people ;)

(after thought - for me this was the best upgrade and the thing I notice first (before the power) when driving other cars!)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You will notice above two different calipers.

The bigest Brembos were by far the best but.......even with 18" wheels needed a spacer, purely because of the offset of the wheel and the spoke design.

The smaller Brembo on my current car, although not quite as powerful, is fitted with saab 314mm discs (easy replacement) and because the Caliper is smiller / smaller they fit without the need of a spacer!

So make sure you put your wheel on the jig you make up to ensure the spokes clear the calipers!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Could you use the front calipers from a aero on the rear as a upgrade to the rear of a se
I have no doubt it could be done somehow, but......

• Our hand brake is inside the rear drum, you would struggle to find larger discs that would work
  • Our rear brakes really dont do "that much" compared with the fronts, and Saab has set the balance up, I wouldn't think this was a good upgrade.
You can of course fit the vented rear aero brakes to the car ;)

Normal non vented rears:

Replaced with Aero rears:

With decent pads, these are "good enough" ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know that the handbrake is in the rear drum/disc was just wondering if the more powerfull caliper would work on normal AERO discs but guess not so i can fit the Aero Vented on the rear without any trouble as i have got the Viggen setup on the front wich is nice :cool: with x drilled and grooved i know its not as big as some setups on here but is way better than stock :roll: ive seen a set of Xdrilled and grooved on ebay for less than £80.00 with some nice pads should be a nice setup

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I bought some cheap grooved discs off eBay once, the car sounded like a helicopter when coming to a halt :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
:lol::lol: I have drilled them before on many of my cars but at this price its not worth getting the drill ready to do it think it mite be the ebay ones just dont know the quality of them as the car is my daily driver and often has the wife and kids in and i dont think you can scrape on brakes but can still get value for money or is that me just being tight :roll::cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
have you considered XYZ racing? google it. 330mm 6 pots for a good price. you'll have to email them and they'll email you an american supplier that can give you a price. a bit of hassle initially but i think it'd be worth it. They're brakes look solid, nice big calipers unlike some puny looking ones you see online, and some race cars use them too.
Genuine saab sells there brembo 4 pot kit. thought bout that? bargain aswell if they're any good.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

Genuine Saab vented front brake discs which will fit the following Saabs -
9-3 Sports (from 2003 to 2008) with 314mm diameter brake discs
They wont fit with standard calipers though :nono;

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Chris - Do you have any pictures of the caliper brakets and any contact details for who made them ?

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts