146 Posts
That's not a good link, but here's the summary:

Make : SAAB
Model : 9-3
Year : 2004
Manufacturer : SAAB CARS USA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V236000
Recall Date : MAY 09, 2005
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:pOWER ASSIST:VACUUM:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 68654
Summary:
CERTAIN SPORT SEDAN AND CONVERTIBLE PASSENGER VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH A VACUUM PIPE CHECK VALVE FOR THE BRAKE BOOSTER THAT MAY FAIL FROM EXPOSURE TO ELEVATED TEMPERATURES. THIS COULD RESULT IN SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER BRAKE ASSIST, USUALLY WITH LITTLE OR NO WARNING.Consequence:
IF THIS CONDITION WERE TO OCCUR WHEN MINIMUM STOPPING DISTANCE IS REQUIRED, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW REDESIGNED CHECK VALVE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SAAB AT 1-800-955-9007.
Notes:
SAAB RECALL NO. 05019 (GM RECALL NO. 05057). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Thanks. These are usually plastic and susceptible to heat fatigue. Maybe too close to the exhaust.

I'll take a look tonight. It might be possible to just use some cable ties to pull it further from the heat until it is replaced.

Frankly, these things are so commonly available I would consider putting a new one on myself.

Need to know the cracking pressure. The diameters should be easy to measure off the old valve.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I think I found the check valve in question. It is suspended just below the radiator overflow tank.

It is over the downpipe. A lot of stuff is shielded in that area. I checked when I pulled in the garage tonight. The valve certainly is exposed to some heat;oops:

I think it could be pulled over a bit with cable ties.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Make / Models : Model/Build Years: SAAB / 9-3 2003-2005
Manufacturer : SAAB CARS USA, INC. NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V236000 Recall Date : MAY 09, 2005Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:pOWER ASSIST:VACUUM:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGSPotential Number Of Units Affected : 68654Summary:
CERTAIN SPORT SEDAN AND CONVERTIBLE PASSENGER VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH A VACUUM PIPE CHECK VALVE FOR THE BRAKE BOOSTER THAT MAY FAIL FROM EXPOSURE TO ELEVATED TEMPERATURES. THIS COULD RESULT IN SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER BRAKE ASSIST, USUALLY WITH LITTLE OR NO WARNING.Consequence:
IF THIS CONDITION WERE TO OCCUR WHEN MINIMUM STOPPING DISTANCE IS REQUIRED, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW REDESIGNED CHECK VALVE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SAAB AT 1-800-955-9007.Notes:
SAAB RECALL NO. 05019 (GM RECALL NO. 05057). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
ctrlz said:
Picture of the brake booster check valve. My middle finger is touching it.
did you have it replaced already? My dealer still does not have any parts.....

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
schernov said:
did you have it replaced already? My dealer still does not have any parts.....
Nope. My dealer is an hour away.

This is a simple thing to replace. I may ask to have them mail me a new valve, although I'm pretty sure they'll say "no!"

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
ctrlz said:
Picture of the brake booster check valve. My middle finger is touching it.
Ouch. You're arm looks a little contorted. Don't you hate it when you have to contort your arm/wrist/hand to get at something.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I asked the delaer about it and of course they don't have any idea. It is not in their computers yet. So it will be a waiting game to get it done.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Considering that it took about nine months from first hearing about the seat belt recall until the dealer was notified about it and given parts, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you know if this vacuum valve is the same in diesel engines? It happened to me in my MY'04, I found no assistance in breakes and I almost crashed. They changed this valve in 3 days...

Not a funny experience... :( :x

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I got my recall notice yesterday. They say its a 10 minute job to get it replaced. I'll get it done today.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Saba said:
I got my recall notice yesterday. They say its a 10 minute job to get it replaced. I'll get it done today.
I was at my dealer 2 weeks ago. They told me the recall only affects the previous generation 9-3:roll: They are either completely clueless or are thinking of a different recall. Honestly, it could be either.

Maybe I should drive to Perth.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
ctrlz said:
I was at my dealer 2 weeks ago. They told me the recall only affects the previous generation 9-3:roll: They are either completely clueless or are thinking of a different recall. Honestly, it could be either.

Maybe I should drive to Perth.
My letter reads...

Product Safety Recall 15019
Brake Booster Vacuum Pipe, 9-3 MY03-05

Saab Automobile AB has established that a safety related condition might exist in certain Saab 9-3 Sport Sedans and Convertibles between model years 2003 and 2005.

Our records indicate that you are the current owner of a vehicle that is affected by this recall.

blah blah blah"

:eek: :roll: :nono;

·
Registered
335 Posts
crtlz: Just a question..to you and all the others: What is that "metal block" with the pipes coming out? It's in the righthandside lower corner. Just below the white tank for the power steering fluid container. Juist wondering what that is.

thanks. ;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Saba said:
My letter reads...

Product Safety Recall 15019
Brake Booster Vacuum Pipe, 9-3 MY03-05

Saab Automobile AB has established that a safety related condition might exist in certain Saab 9-3 Sport Sedans and Convertibles between model years 2003 and 2005.

Our records indicate that you are the current owner of a vehicle that is affected by this recall.

blah blah blah"

:eek: :roll: :nono;
Can you scan it and email to me? [email protected] For some reason i don't get anything from SAAB (although my address is right with them).
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi, thanks for the post. i just had my 15k service done recently, and i remember something like this posted before. i asked the tech if there was a recall on any brakes for an '04 aero vert, and he said no, so i thought nothing of it. i know my brakes squeak bad, and in reverse make a crunching noise. will this eliminate that? im not really sure exactly what this recall is for, im not the brightest when it comes to these things!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious and sorry about the newbie question, how does one "register" to be on Saab's list for things like this? Does the fact that I bought my car from the dealer puts me automatically on Saab's customer list? I checked all my paper work from the purchase, didnt see a registration card like piece...

I got my 05 93 Linear about 3 weeks ago from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts