SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did front brakes on my 97 900 se. And the pedal feels really mushy. So I bled the brakes and it still feels mushy? Any ideas

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Was there a mushy feeling before replacing the pads?

Also, new pads always feel weird to me for a while until they seat themselves.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What is the correct order to bleed? I generally have read that it's "closest to the master cylinder" but it seems like everyone has a different opinion.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
If the pedal pumps up, you have air in the lines.

If it does not, I'd check to see if you installed the front retainer springs correctly. There's a recent thread around here with a couple photos of the incorrect and correct ways.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Was there a mushy feeling before replacing the pads?

Also, new pads always feel weird to me for a while until they seat themselves.
This is, IMO, normal.....for new pads, particularly on old rotors.
It takes many uses for the new pads to "bed-in".

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I've always thought you start at farthest and work your way down but I could be wrong.
This is, as far I know, the old way...frankly, I think it makes little diff...
The challenge is to open all 4 and refill the reservoir as quickly as possible, lest air re-enters.. using the "gravity method"...And its "normal" (the "define softness" ) if the task was done properly in the first place....I do assume...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What is the correct order to bleed? I generally have read that it's "closest to the master cylinder" but it seems like everyone has a different opinion.
Ain't that ever the truth....and I think it matters little....but, given the option, I'd sooner do it "correct"....and the most effective way....these may not be the same...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Then I doubt they are undersized. how long has it been since you changed them?

brakes dont work top notch at the first go anyway. They need time for the material to transfer onto the disk (specially since its new) and after that you need to really burnish them so they mould into the same shape as the disks surface.

I changed my rotors and pads to ebc yellows and during the break in period they pretty much sucked lol They are fine now although cold bite isnt the best still as the yellows are meant to be more performance oriented (my supplier had no reds so went for yellows)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the car about this time last year from my aunt. So I don't really know when it was done last. The front rotors were really bad the pads not so much but I replaced them anyways. Now the rear rotors are in pretty good shape but the pads are in really poor shape. but I can't put the rear pads on until my guid pins and springs come in. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts