SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through all 21 pages of posts in this forum for something relevant but couldn't find it so if this is a repost of something please forgive me.

I took my 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear in today for a new tire after I had a puncture last night. I was told upon check out that I had 5% left in my rear brakes and that my front brakes were in need of replacement also. The rear rotors couldn't be salvaged and the front ones were likely to be in the same condition. Then I was quoted $900 for the whole process. :eek:
Is it just me or is this a little rediculous??

I priced out the parts through AutoZone and I'm getting around $425 for all 4 rotors and another $175 or so for ceramic pads for all 4 wheels. Less if I go the semi-metalic route.
I then took the car to Just Brakes and was quoted $617 + Tax and was also told that Machining the rotors on a "european" car was not possible. (that is not the impression I got from the service guy at Saab this morning)

I'd like to not have to pay that much money and was going to try to take the car somewhere else to see if they would at least machine the front rotors for me so I could save a few hundred.

The car has 73,050 miles on it and I'm going to assume the rotors haven't been flipped since it was driven off the lot in 2004.

My plan is to buy all the rotors/pads up front. Then as my buddy and I are taking things apart we can assess and see if the front ones can still be used or if they really need to be tossed.

Is there anything I need to know before attempting to replace the rotors and pads myself this weekend?
Anyone know of any diagrams or instructional websites that I could use to guide me?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You couldn't find anything because you were looking in the WRONG forum. ;)

/moved....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Pad replacement is pretty straightforward. Biggest challenge is special tool req'd to turn back the rear calipers. Front calipers push in like any other car. you can rent the tool from Autozone, or just improvise with a large channel lock pliers and a C-clamp.

At 74K if rotors are original you probably have some uneven rotor wear...meaning when you put the new pads on (which are square) they will not contact the rotor surface evenly....hence you will have spongy brakes.
Last I checked Saab was not advocating cutting their rotors at all....just replacement. Same goes for Flywheels.
Hopefully someone else can chime in with minimum thickness stats. Getting your rotors machined is a good idea provided you have the thickness. Otherwise replace or possibly live with spongy brakes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know you can get front and rear Aftermarket Brembo rotors at thesaabsite.com for less than $300 for all 4 (I did). A $900 Brake job is outlandish, don't pay that much. If you did it yourself you could do it all for around half of what Saab quoted you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Actually about $800-1000 is pretty standard for brakes and rotors all around at a dealership. A friend just spent $950 for the same on his Saturn. If you figure the costs of parts (at dealer prices) and labor by hour it adds up. :cry:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KrOlDoG8 said:
I know you can get front and rear Aftermarket Brembo rotors at thesaabsite.com for less than $300 for all 4 (I did). A $900 Brake job is outlandish, don't pay that much. If you did it yourself you could do it all for around half of what Saab quoted you.
I couldn't find the Brembo brakes you mentioned, but the cross drilled rotors are only $70 for fronts ($50 less than the cheapest I've found)
Is there any disadvantage to getting the cross drilled over the standard?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I got the front Brembos at Rockauto and EBC Red Stuffs at Summit Racing. About $250 total. Your quote at the dealer isn't out of the ordinary. I was quoted $500 for the fronts.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nickshu said:
Last I checked Saab was not advocating cutting their rotors at all....just replacement. Same goes for Flywheels.
Hopefully someone else can chime in with minimum thickness stats. Getting your rotors machined is a good idea provided you have the thickness. Otherwise replace or possibly live with spongy brakes.
Last time this topic came up I got flamed for saying that ventilated discs (rotors) shouldn't be machined, but most European manufacturers do not recommend machining vented discs. In order to keep unsprung mass down, most modern discs have a pretty small wall thickness which is why they shouldn't be turned.

Anymore than 1mm wear on each side of the disc (i.e. 2mm total) and the discs are scrap. If they are the original ones at 74K miles then they will almost certainly want chucking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tweek's Turbos said:
I saw your post in the older 900/9-3 section, I priced up the rear pads and rotors on EEuroparts.com at $160ish, and the fronts at around $210ish. Free shipping UPS ground over $40 too.:cool:

I would like to add that EBC greenstuff are wonderfull pads.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=11624+1558+4294967025+9183
You are officially my hero. Thanks a bunch for that.
The only problem is shipping as I was planning on working on the breaks this weekend but I'm sure that I could wait another week if it means saving $400 :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Official word on cutting rotors is as follows:
Minimum thickness after cutting is 1-2mm less than original thickness (depending on which rotors you have). Therefor, cutting rotors after any use is NOT recommended by Saab in any way, shape, or form. Never has been.

If you're going to do the job yourself, use Saab genuine parts or BETTER, do NOT use vatozone pads or the like. Many have very low QC standards which can lead to strange noises (including rattling from suspension areas while not using the brakes) and extremely poor performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts