SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel pulsing when I apply the brakes to my 88 900S, which I think may mean that it's time to replace the pads. I've done this on other cars, but never my SAAB. Is it something easy to do (no shop manual) and if so any suggestions, tips, things to whatch out for, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
I havent done my brakes in a few years, But, as I recall its "Easy as Pie" 10 minutes each side. If you have done other cars its the same principle. :cool:
Good Luck,, You are in he right place for ?'s

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
pulsing at speed is generally warped rotos. its all easy as pie, but don't strip the screw that holds the rotor on like i did the other day, my brakes are fast to fail now and i can't get the rotor off as the head is stripped:(

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I wouldn't say it's totally the same. The c900 (late style) calliper does not need to be removed as is the case on lots (not all) of similar cars. Instead of removing the calliper you simply remove one of the small bolts from the back of the calliper and swing the outer calliper frame away from the rest of the calliper. After that it's just the same as any other pad replacement job.

Sounds like you have warped disks. Change them at the same time. Not sure if the disks can be removed without fully removing the calliper though.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Can you just push the piston back?

i was told you need to open the bleed valve and i didnt do this and i have ABS?

i did my pads last year and everything is fine.

I removed the calipers and just gave everything a clean, some paint and copper grease for good measure.

I would say use good pads not the cheapest replacement ones you can find every little helps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Matthew said:
To change the discs you need to remove the caliper and its mounting bracket. IIRC you're supposed to use new bolts for the mounting bracket.
I noticed the replacement of the bolts in the manual. Is it a torque-to-yield situation or is it just that they coat them from the factory? If the latter, can I just use Loktite on them?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
nevets said:
I feel pulsing when I apply the brakes to my 88 900S, which I think may mean that it's time to replace the pads. I've done this on other cars, but never my SAAB. Is it something easy to do (no shop manual) and if so any suggestions, tips, things to whatch out for, etc. Thanks
It pulsing would be a warped brake rotor. I would pull off each wheel and inspect the pad thickness (stick in your head and look through the inspection window on the caliper) and the general condition of the discs. If the pads are decent and the rotors look good but are slightly warped, I probably wouldn't worry about it until the pads needed replacing. Then I'd get new rotors if that was the case.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
RE: pulsing pedal--I assumed it was warped rotors on my "new" 900 16T and was pleasently surprised the pulse went away when I put on my winter tires.

So, it could be unevenly worn tires...

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Matthew said:
On front-handbraked cars, is it okay to use Loctite in place of those locktab plates?
Yes. Regular Loctite Blue is all you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts