SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2005 9-5 aero. I have heard the braking sensors in the last two weeks and will need to get the pads replaced. What do you recommend for replacements and what is the likelyhood that I will need both front and back, as well as rotors replaced? I called the dealeship yesterday and they want $600 for the front and $700 for the rear! YIKES! Brake Check? Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have mintex extreme pads on my 2.0t and they are good and low on dust. £45 on the front

for the disks just get a good brand i.e. brembo or german about £50 each. I think that the saab geniune ones or GM are now made in China so would not trust them. However, you can go up to more expensive.

Took me a couple of hours to do mine as it was my first saab change and i was taking care to clean it all up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a good DIY for the brake pad and rotor change listed above in the FAQ and makes for good reading. I would like to add just a touch to it if you don't mind.

First off I would certainly reccomend that you consider changing both the rotors and the pads together if you do not have a baseline for how long the rotors have been on the car. Quite frankly brakes and tires are two of the most important safety parts on the car and for the money it will cost to replace all four rotors (if necessary) is immaterial if you skimp and end up hitting someone or getting in an accident as a result of trying to save a few dollars.

At the same time I would highly suggest that if you haven't had the brake fluid changed in a few years (2-3 years) it would be a good time to start afresh. A decent service station would probably charge less than $100 to do it or you could spend the $50 and buy a brake bleeding tool and carefully do it yourself.

Also if you commit to changing the rotors on the front of the car you will need to find what is referred to as an E20 reverse-torx socket to remove the front caliper carriers to pull the rotors off. I would also suggest that if you live in a rust-prone area that you go out and get yourself a can of PB-Blast to pre-soak all the bolts as well as putting a little bit on the rotor retention screw before applying too much love to that bolt and stripping it.. then causing you to have to pull out the dremel and slot it to remove it and possibly have to replace it in the end!

For the components I would suggest either Genuinesaab.com or the Tire Rack as good sources for pads and rotors; I personally am running some slotted Brembos that have been cyrogenically treated along with a set of the Akebono pads. When I redid my brakes about three months ago I changed to braided brake lines to replace the rubber ones, bled the system with ATE Blue brake fluid and installed the pads and rotors and painted the calipers with some good semi-gloss matte black paint just to clean things up a bit.

All in all it is always good to assess what condition the components are in before tackling the whole job, spray the components you will be removing with the PB blast multiple times and then taking your time.. you will be fine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just did pads and rotors on my 04 Aero last month. All good suggestions in this thread. Especially the E20 torx socket. I was only able to find one on a Snap-On truck. You can also get them online, but not many local sources where I live.

I went with R1Concepts Premium slotted only rotors. They are very reasonably priced and delivered quickly. I recommend this product. Call them and don't buy their economy rotors found on eBay.

I went with Akembono Euro ceramic pads from Tirerack all around. These have a little less bite than metallic pads, but are virtually dust free. I am a spirited driver and these pads are fine. I expect they will only get better with more miles. If brake dust is not an issue, I recommend the Hawk HPS up front from Genuinesaab.com with the Akembono Euro in back.

You should not need to bleed the brakes on an 05. Just make sure the resevoir doesn't overflow when changing pads.

Also make sure you have good breaker/helper bars that fit over your socket wrench. A 2' and 4' will be helpful. I use old chain link fence posts cut to size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
nbndtrain said:
Just did pads and rotors on my 04 Aero last month. All good suggestions in this thread. Especially the E20 torx socket. I was only able to find one on a Snap-On truck. You can also get them online, but not many local sources where I live..
Yep me too; I did a search on Ebay and found a kit of E-series sockets for about $25 shipped that was the easiest way to get that tool.

I have also purchased rotors through R1Concepts in California for my old Viggen and I would say that they are a great source for rotors and also the braided brake lines as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts