SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 96 900s when stoping in rain there is a heasation and stiff pettal.Then after it heats up it will brake. The car had new rotors and pads done before I bought it,so I dont know the brand. My queston is what are the best stoping in all weather pads I can get. I dont mind dust or price. This is the wifes car.She wants good dependable brakes. Thanks. oh, I did the booster test and its working.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am also interested in the replies to this. My 98 900s has what I think are ceramic pads. They squeal bigtime. Also, I think that the ceramic pads will wear out the rotors too fast.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well there are many threads on that just use the search option and you'll get dozens of threads on that.

Greenstuff and redstuff are good. but there are litterally dozens of brands ranging in price from $30 to over $100 a set. It depends on your driving style (agressive, moiderate, racing on weekends on the track etc)

Some pads are ceramic, others have Kevlar, some leave dust and some don't etc.

Read a couple of the threads you get in the search and you'll get a lot of information and testimonials from people who used each brand and in some cases where you can get those.

There was a thread regarding this about a week ago

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112413

I hope this helps

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
gurn said:
I guess no one knows.
Ever the pessimist ?:cheesy:

One mistake is the use of "racing" brake pads for normal day to day driving - of course this works poorly.

I believe all pads today contain some "ceramic".

I'd stick with the OEM spec pads and regular rotors, but then, I do not race, those days are over..

From what I make make out, the wrong pads are being used..

And, all the brake maintenance work should be up to date - part of the mythical annual service...

·
Registered
980 Posts
gurn said:
On my 96 900s when stoping in rain there is a heasation and stiff pettal.Then after it heats up it will brake. The car had new rotors and pads done before I bought it,so I dont know the brand. My queston is what are the best stoping in all weather pads I can get. I dont mind dust or price. This is the wifes car.She wants good dependable brakes. Thanks. oh, I did the booster test and its working.
My 1995 900S has always an issue with wet brakes since day one. If you drive at highway speed in the rain without applying the brakes for several miles, when you do hit the brakes, there is virtually no friction for several seconds until the pads dry off. Quickly the jabbing the brake pedal seems to get the brakes back faster than a one-time application. I've found this condition only gets worse as the brakes age; it's not as noticable with new pads and rotors. I've replaced the brakes only once at 93,000 miles (car now has 155k). The fronts were only about 1/2 worn and the rears were only worn on the inboard side due to the sticking outer pad issue on our cars, but I figured at 93k it deserved new pads and rotors all around. I went with OEM pads/rotors as I wanted the replacements to last like the originals. Again, the wet braking issue wasn't too bad at first, but now it could get pretty scary. My "solution" is to stab the brake pedal every so often with my left foot to keep the brakes warm/dry. This is now my sons car, and I've taught him to do the same. Trust me, sons are much easier to train than wives on automotive ideosyncrasies.

I'm now thinking, the best solution might be slotted rotors, at least in the front where most of the braking takes place; they might give the water a place to go instead of allowing the pad to hydroplane on the rotor. Different pads might also help. but which ones? My '06 9-3 does not seem to exhibit this wet braking issue, but out of habit, I find myself doing the same brake drying technique without even thinking about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts