SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I wanted to mention, I have an '06 with completely OEM brake parts, and mine has also squealed a bit when backing up. Seems to worsen on cold days and/or humid/rainy/snowy days. Some days it doesn't do it at all, but it has done it as long as I can remember with no apparent ill effects.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
My car has developed a discreet little chirp when coming to a stop while backing up. Other than that, the all OEM setup (rotors and pads) has worked fine for a few years including sitting for winter, outside, with resulting corrosion. None of the "warped rotors" that typically are pad deposits.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our wagon squealed quite a bit in reverse with TRW front pads, when those wore down I replaced them with wagner semi-metallic pads. Doesn't make much noise anymore. Both our 9-5's seem to be wearing faster on one side (passenger or driver), front and back. Is this a common issue? I'm not about to buy eight new calipers...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wanted to mention, I have an '06 with completely OEM brake parts, and mine has also squealed a bit when backing up. Seems to worsen on cold days and/or humid/rainy/snowy days. Some days it doesn't do it at all, but it has done it as long as I can remember with no apparent ill effects.
Mine did that on both of ours Saab's for the first 8 years. That is until I changed everything out to the current configuration.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I am not sure how you folks service your brakes. For sure it’s critical to coat the sliding pins, the pad backing plates , the “ tins” the pads slot into. With suitable lubricant. Most suppliers provide and techs use a silicone paste. In northern snow belt areas I use Lloyd’s moly anti seize as it’s the ONLY product that will withstand coating of “ brine” sprayed onto the roads. I can’t stress enough the damage this crap brine does to automobiles. When reversing the noise you hear is “
Undamped” vibration due to lack of correct lubricant in appropriate areas as I have detailed. For the person with brake wear more on the passenger side That’s most likely seized sliding pins. The accumulation of salt and brine on the roads is constantly plowed to the ditch so the passenger side of the car is exposed to a much higher corroding causing drenching bath. I see it all the time. It’s horrible. Seized sliding pins I Also see brake work done improperly even by licensed shops. All I got.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Where I live we do not use salt on the roads for the snow. I use anti-seize on all sliding pins to ensure they move correctly. My brakes have been squeaked in reverse since I bought the car when it was 2-3 years old. Now almost 10 years later the only thing that fixed it was the overhaul with non-Saab parts. They even squeaked when I had Akebono pads on it. It was crazy. Now that I think of it my 99 and 2000 model did the same thing when going in reverse. I just assumed it was a "Saab" thing after so many of them doing it.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Where I live we do not use salt on the roads for the snow. I use anti-seize on all sliding pins to ensure they move correctly. My brakes have been squeaked in reverse since I bought the car when it was 2-3 years old. Now almost 10 years later the only thing that fixed it was the overhaul with non-Saab parts. They even squeaked when I had Akebono pads on it. It was crazy. Now that I think of it my 99 and 2000 model did the same thing when going in reverse. I just assumed it was a "Saab" thing after so many of them doing it.
But did you put anti seize on the pad backing plate and tabs in the tins?saab OEM pads have a damping pad glued to the backing plates FYI

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I use CRC anti-squeal on all the brake pads. Not anti-seize. Anti-seize only on the sliding pins and caliper bolts.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Well clearly that didn’t work ! I “ park to exit” everywhere I park Or pull through to park. Reverse always into my garage. It’s winter. I do get corrosion build up on rotors ( I wash my saab practically every time I put it away if it gets dirty in winter ) and I do get momentary seizing from salt residue corrosion as I pull out of the garage ,but I have NEVER had this reverse noise issue you folks are discussing. I conclude it’s most likely an issue with the installation , or possibly pad material. I use Ceramic pads , generally ACDelco or Pagid where available , for the most part.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It has been discussed the whole time I have been on the Saab forums, so over 10 years. I have used either Pagid, Akebono, and TRW on all 4 9-5's I have owned. I thought it could have been a pad related issue. But I was wrong. That is until I changed out the rotors and pads.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts