SaabCentral Forums banner

Brake Master Cyl Replacement - Preferred Parts Choice?

301 14
Per my other thread, looks like I'll be replacing by brake master cylinder ASAP. I figured I'd start another thread on that so there's a reference for anyone else looking to replace theirs.

So, what parts to use? I have one I pulled from a parts another car that had 112K miles on it and was working fine. Been in storage, drained (no special prep, just in a box, maybe a baggie) 3+ years ago.

Best choice for safety and ease of job? Ease of job is high on my list these days.
1. Use my 120K used one from storage as is
2. Buy a professionally rebuilt (brand?)
3. Rebuild my used one and install (issues with scratching seals going in? Hones needed?)
4. Rebuild my current one and re-install (issues with scratching seals going in? Hones needed?)

New Saab is $650.
ATE is $260. Might be OEM (but who knows what that means in listings anymore)
Centric $100 (no seal /o-ring to booster included; weird, all the others include it).
DFC $110
Metelli $65- $155 (don't understand the wide range, but I think it's an economy part. Maybe).

All appear to be new, not rebuilt.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ATE is OEM (booster, too). You can rebuild it, but yes, you need to hone it. The work is about the same no matter which one you use unless you rebuild it.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,646 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on brands for replacements?
I don't know how long these last - but if it is a long-term item - personally I'd be focused on quality rather than price - if you're in a position to do so. ie original Saab - or ATE.
Side note - is it possible to modify a Volvo one to fit?

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how long these last - but if it is a long-term item - personally I'd be focused on quality rather than price - if you're in a position to do so. ie original Saab - or ATE.
Side note - is it possible to modify a Volvo one to fit?
Good idea. I tried to cross check the number to Volvo, no real luck. The ATE catalog shows the part for SAABs 010727 and then a similar spec part listing for Opel and Vauxhall. Unfortunatley Opel and Vauxhall don't do anything for me in the USA. Opel number is 010470 for those in other countries. It looks like the same unit, same specs, aside from the seals for the reservoir being flat as opposed to the Saab looking "V" in their photo.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Let me just add that setting the old Saab parts (MC and booster) next to the new ATE parts on the bench revealed no external differences. I have the new ATE parts on my car and they work fine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I put a Metelli brake M/C on a 2003 Saab 93SE back in July 2020. 22k miles later I'm replacing M/C after suddenly loosing almost all pedal and brake fluid light illuminating. No evidence of leakage underneath car or wheels. After removing old M/C I removed about 10 fluid ounces of rusty brake fluid before putting on another M/C.
Don't know why Metelli M/C failed so soon: there were no obvious seal or bore problems on disassembly.

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have installed a lot of Centric master cylinders over the years and never had a problem. That said, cost no object, I'd buy the ATE part.
I am trying to control costs a bit nowadays so I didn't splurge on the ATE. I went with the Centric for about $160 less. They've always been good for me in the past for brake parts. Hopefully that quality hasn't waned.

They used to have a support line you could call and speak to an actual knowledgeable tech or engineer. I don't know if that still a feature. It's one of the reasons I started using them years ago.

·
Registered
20,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put a Metelli brake M/C on a 2003 Saab 93SE back in July 2020. 22k miles later I'm replacing M/C after suddenly loosing almost all pedal and brake fluid light illuminating. No evidence of leakage underneath car or wheels. After removing old M/C I removed about 10 fluid ounces of rusty brake fluid before putting on another M/C.
Don't know why Metelli M/C failed so soon: there were no obvious seal or bore problems on disassembly.
Good to know. Glad I didn't go that way. I was tempted, but the difference was only about $20 to the Centric at the time so I went that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts