SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the small brake lines that fit on the front calipers and then attatch to the brake hose via the small bracket still available?

Ive got a loan of a brake line making kit off a guy at work but given its brakes and there kind of vital i was thinking an off the shelf product might be safer. :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think you can get them off the shelf, but an indy garage should be able to make you up a set. I think my mate Ben got some made up for my car (back when it was in his possession) and it cost him about £9 a side.

You're talking about the small piece of metal pipe actually on the front calipers right?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap thats the buggers. Im probably going to have a go at making a new clutch line, the one in the car was knackered and mysteriously broke when i was getting the engine out. ;oops: Ive got a spare in the parts car but wont be going up to get it anytime soon ( sorry gran ). ill have a look and see if theres anyone local. ta.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I've had two sets off saab in the last couple of years. Looked at making a set and decided otherwise! Slightly complex shape :(

LH: 8926230 RH: 8926248

RRP £9.11 + VAT each.

Clutch line, I got mine from automec, right lenght, but comes strapped to a plank! You have to bend it to shape yourself, but easy enough.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
i made my own. You cant go far wrong flaring your own brake pipes if it will bleed up properly afterwards!
you can get a flaring tool for £15 and a roll of pipe for £10 and youre set for doing the back axle pipe too...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit i got from craig at work ( just fully restored a MK1 MR2 very nice :cool: ) has got about 3 metres of pipe all the fittings a flaring kit and a small mandrel kit for bending the line. Ill probably have a go this week with it, i checked and he other lines are still available so thats good.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
With that front one - if you make sure you get your new section the right length it is fairly easy to bend to fit. Do one and look at the other to bend it.
Dont spend too long trying to bend it perfectly - you will have to do it in-situ. Put it in and connect the pipes up loosely to the end then bend it till you can tighten them up. Do them with your fingers not a spanner so you dont strip threads.
I dont think you really need the mendrel bender - and likely cant use it for that as it is so tight. Copper pipe bends quite easily as long as you dont bend it too far and try and go back again as it hardens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts