SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my brake lights work and sometimes they dont. When I check them they work, but people after driving behind me sometimes say they do not work. Today that happenned and I checked them and they do not work. It was raining today though- maybe that has something to do with it?

Either way, what would cause brake lights to sometimes work and sometimes not? I have a 1994 900s manual 5 door.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
As your vehicle is approaching 11 years old, the brake light switch, situated above the brake pedal, would be a candidate for attention, or replacement.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Crawl under there( the steering column area) and bridge the two leads from the brake light switch - then, if you see the lights working 100% rather than occasionally, then you will know you are on the right track..Maybe the switch can be sprayed with some CRC to induce it to work better..BTW, a brake light warning should have been displayed - so what gives ??

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Brake light warning does NOT display when this switch dies. Can't believe you never 'heard' me complain about that EW.
Uncle SID will tell you if one light is burnt out but if that switch breaks and you have NO lights....nothing. Since the warning runs off voltages to the lights, if the circuit is still complete... nothing.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
CleveSaab, they is why this info should be in a book - man's memory is too short (particular mine).

I just checked Haynes - they have nothing... What else is new ??
But, the computer system, during start-up will insist that the brake lights be tested - and 99% of us do this test intuitively.. If we were not to do this, this insistence would continue until the pedal was depressed and the switch activated.
If the switch were inoperative, the computer would think that the test never occurred and continue to request "test brake lights".
Would this not be an indirect test of the switch ???

Then, if the switch were to be stuck closed, the test results would probably be "OK".., and , if we had complete reliance on this system, ugh , what a mess !!!
Better to use LEDs, as the big rigs are now beginning to..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, On my 1993 900s convertible, the tail light assembly had a burned terminal for the brake lights causing them to work intermittently. I replaced the terminal and all was well. I don't know if the 94 900 has the same or similar tail light assembly.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
earthworm said:
If the switch were inoperative, the computer would think that the test never occurred and continue to request "test brake lights".
Would this not be an indirect test of the switch ???
I know it makes no sense. You would think that switch would be part of the circuit. Somehow, it is not. I had no brake lights at all. I had to use my rear fogs as brake lights. Haha Manual brake lights!
Either that or the switch engages enough to do the test but not enough to actually trip the lights.

Took the switch out, put new one in VOILA! brake lights.
No mention whatsoever on the SID. SaabScott can vouch, he was behind me and pointed out that I had no lights.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CleveSaab said:
I had to use my rear fogs as brake lights. Haha Manual brake lights!
I was actually thinking of doing that.

I got my flashlight and banged around the brake pedal and now the lights work.

Either way, where is the the brake light switch at? And its 12.79USD at eeuroparts.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Allright, been there done that.

I took off the lower dash and found the brake light switch. There is another switch you have to go around to get to the brake light switch. Thank God for the picture on EEuroparts or I would of taken the wrong switch out (anyone know what that switch is for?).

It was sticking half way (it would not extend fully). I sprayed some WD-40 on it and clicked it about 20 times and it does not stick now. I think the part that moves is adjustable also as I pulled it out farther to get it to work properly when I was re-installing it which is harder than taking it out.

Thanks for your help. I wont even speculate what a dealer would of charged me to do that. Though I will leave off my lower dash for a while just in case. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts