SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys , I have a 1986 Saab 900 with the 9000 style brake light switch installed. The issue is it sticks occasionally , I have to lift up on the brake pedal so the lights won't illuminate anymore.

So I purchased a threaded style Beck Arnley one ( Part number , 201-1317 ) , AKA , the better style switch.

But when I attempted to install it , the switch wouldn't install properly / fit correctly. Maybe somebody changed the bracket in which is installs into? I don't know.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Joe.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you sometimes have to lift the brake pedal up to get the brake light to turn off, then I'm thinking your spring is weak. This happened on my car where I found a cheap aftermarket replacement spring.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
thats a bummer, id order the one thesaabsite.com offers. I know the one I ordered from ^ was the same as the OEM. I like Beck Arnsley stuff, have one of their water pumps, but if it don't fit it don't fit.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
oh and you might want to try and bend (a little) the rod holding the brake switch, I had an issue you where it wasn't even the brake switch specifically that was bad (it was going) but the rod holding the brake switch was off center and not connecting correctly. Taking out the front seat makes getting in there more palatable, with a headband light on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies , looking through my book of maintenance and repair records they replaced the entire bracket and the switch in 1989. The customer supplied the switch :x. So now I'm returning the threaded one.

Okay , so now I seem to know what I gotta do. ;ol; ;ol; ;ol;

With the pedal spring where can I find one to purchase ? , browsing the interwebz now.

Thanks guys.

And kudos to the headband light , haha

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
If you sometimes have to lift the brake pedal up to get the brake light to turn off, then I'm thinking your spring is weak. This happened on my car where I found a cheap aftermarket replacement spring.
Mine too. I just looked around for another C900 spring I had lying around and now there are two springs on it :lol:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Perhaps you could shorten it. (someone correct me if this is a bad idea or unsafe). They're very difficult to cut with wire cutters by the way. I took one from my 84 parts car and modified it to work on my 91 convertible.

Or maybe swap the clutch and brake springs (I don't remember if they're the same length).

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
probably easier to "cut" it by putting wire (like bread tie) to tie part of it together holding it tight

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I don't like those switches. They kill your battery when the brake lights stick on. I've also found that some of the bracketry won't support them very well. I think that one or more of the bracket styles is made of thinner metal that distorts and maybe puts a side load on those switches. I'm not sure. Been meaning to look into this for some time.

When the switch failed on my '93 I simply went to the FLAPS and asked for the threaded switch that was used in GM cars for just about forever. They'll know the one. These are very inexpensive and work very well.

Airtex/Wells 4C1 or Standard Motor Products SL66T are two examples commonly available in the U.S. They were used on Chebbies from 1958-1991.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts