SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake lights intermittantly stay on. I tested it again this lunch time. The switch is definatley working you can hear it. When they stick on there is no sound but by pulling on the brake pedel towards you this sends them off again. So it seems the issue is with the pedal not the switch. You can just hook your foot behind to do this.

I was considering putting a 20 amp fuse on the circuit to allow more jiuce through. I certainly dont like the look of getting the lower facia off..how ridiculous to have the brake switch behind there!

What do you guys think about my predicament? What about increasing the juice a bit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some thread says its possible to get to the thing buy undo the vents in the lower facia...sounds like bad news to me..

I may put a 20amp fuse on there first...I wouldn't have thought it would hurt.

I had to put a bigger fuse in for the central locking..it was struggling but that did the trick..

K boom!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i spoke to my saab garage they confirm it is possible to get to the swtch without taking the lower facia off...through the air vent and insolation...apparantly the hard plastic down there will reshape it's self after it's been bent back..far more sensible than the procedure!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Oh yes, I have bent that stuff around plenty of times. I would follow the recommendation though to take the seat out if you are over 4 feet tall. It only takes 5 minutes to get the seat out and it will save a lot of blood draining to your head and pretzeling of the body.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Deano i'm not at all technical..as you are already aware..I love the cars though and am learning. I have a haynes manual of course...it's better than nothing.

I decided to do a few emergancy style brakes earlier arround the town to see if that would help the switch.

The switch didn't stick once on my 20 mile drive home. Be interesting to see if it holds out or starts again.

Also under the passenger side I have looked closely at the vent area..there are 3 screws..one is in the vent itself..releasing this should allow me to get at the switch. I think I'll deal with it in the spring..if it gets worse.

Funnily enough the hard plastic down there has cuts in it also...it's like in 3 inch wide strips..and seems very bendable...I wonder if someones done this before to the car?

I'll nail it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rather than taking the seat out and placing my legs through the sunroof etc etc I accessed the brake light light by taking off the speaker grill...you can see what is what by putting your hand on the brake pedal and looking down inside. Then a good dose of WD40..and no more sticking!...I'm please with that..

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
WD40 eh? I will try that tomorrow, I have the same issues on my 1990 900 Turbo and 1992 900 S. On the 900 S the previous owner had a partially crushed can of Diet Pepsi he'd shove under the pedal to keep the lights off :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had problems with the brake lights staying on intermittently since I bought my 1990 900. Finally, I pulled into the garage tonight and could not get them to go out. I finally removed the fuse. After figuring out where the swich was located I sprayed a little WD-40, which did not help.

After reading this post, I decided I might be on the right track and went back down and really soaked it this time. After about a minute of depressing and releasing the brake pedal, the lights started to go out, and finally the lubrication really kicked in and the switch works perfectly now.

Thanks for the great advice!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts