SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A beautiful 1997 9000SE just fell into my hands. I thought it might be nice to move the XM radio from my old mazda, and I thought it might be better if I could permanently mount it (and leave the existing cig lighter available for a GPS we have). So I cracked into the dash, spliced in a second cigarette lighter/outlet, turned everything on, nothing works. Not the new outlet I wired in, not the OLD outlet either. Oops! I checked the fuses, but I can't find any documentation that says which fuse the cig lighter goes through, and everything else seemed to be working fine. (Note: other things were screwed up, I just didn't notice it yet.) I concluded I had somehow yanked too hard on the blue hot wire and pulled it out of a harness junction somewhere. Dang.

So I searched around for another source of hot 12V, and found an unused connector behind the fusebox. Ran a wire to it, spliced it in, tested the voltage (a healthy 13.4), wired up the second outlet, plugged in the GPS...nothing. By this point I had been working on it off and on for about 3 hours, and nearly wept. I disconnected the outlet and tested the new hot and ground; 0V. Dang.

Then, on a whim, I tested the resistance of the new outlet; 0 ohms. Oops, it's got a short and I'm blowing fuses! Well, that's a relief, I can just replace the fuses and I'm good to go. I noticed at this point that the brake light warning indicators were on as well; I figured I'd blown that fuse. No problem. This is ALSO when I noticed that the rear windows and sunroof didn't work. Aha!

I checked the window/roof fuse; it was indeed asploded, so I replaced it. Now the original cig-lighter hot has voltage. I looked at the brake light fuse; it didn't seem to be broken, but I replaced it anyway. The brake light warning is still on, though, even after turning the car off, turning it back on, and pumping the brake pedal a bunch. I looked in the manual to see if there's another fuse pertaining to the brake lights, but there doesn't seem to be.

If I have to, I'll go to Pep Boys, buy a complete set of fuses, and replace every one in the car (I already accidentally popped the radio fuses, so now I've got to try and find the radio code...sob), but if the brake lights aren't working, I'm loathe to drive the car. I'm at work at the moment (was fiddling with it on break when I shorted out the brake connection), so I don't have access to my other cars.

Also, I don't have anyone handy to tell me if my brake lights are actually working, and the indicator is just wrong; for now I'm assuming they're out. My question is, what could cause the brake lights to fail from being shorted OTHER than the fuse? Or is there another fuse I'm missing? Could I have melted all 3 bulbs before the fuse would give out? (If that's the case, the fuse seems rather pointless.)

Sorry this is so longwinded; wanted to make sure the experts had all the details! THANKS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured it out; when I stood outside the car, I noticed that not only did the brake lights not work, but oddly enough the left tail light and left front parking light were out too. I replaced the fuse for those, and the brake lights worked again too!

In short: Saab did a pretty crappy job of documenting what fuses control what systems. I forgive them, though. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts