SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always come here when I have a problem with my Saab . You guys have helped keep her going , has 166,000 miles I personally have added 55,000 with your help on this forum. The brakelights have failed but all other rear lights are working. All three ( there are three correct?) are out . And my computer did not warn me. If I have a light failure the computer always tells me, even high beam failure, not this time who knows how long I havebeen driving like this. I could not find a fuse for just the brake lights. My father thinks it could be the switch but he can not find it where he thinks it should be ( he is not a saab guy) .Any advice? I do not want to have to take it into the shop if this is something simple . :(

2nd question might not be correct forum . I just looked at 1999 9-3 110,000 for $3900, it is beautiful cosmetically but when I started it ran very ruff and check engine light stayed on.Frankly my 1995 runs and sounds perfect in comparison. The salesguy said they have been trying to find the problem,the computer said to replace the manifold exhaust seal or something like that and that did not help . engine light went out until someone took it for a test drive.Should I just forget about it or is worth fixing or waiting for them to fix?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
rschlitz said:
I could not find a fuse for just the brake lights. My father thinks it could be the switch but he can not find it where he thinks it should be
Check the brake light fuse. No. 12 in the fuse box, should be labeled on the card attached to the fuse box cover.

To see the switch, you have to remove the plastic trim just above the pedals. The trim is held by a few screws underneath and on the side, and also by two plastic "rivets". Those can be removed after pushing in a small pin in the center of the rivet head (hard to see, but it is there).

The switches have a self adjusting plunger. To reset the plunger, you pull it out about 1/4-1/2 inch with pliers. Carefully because the plastic is old and fragile. The plunger will click a few times as you pull it out. It then adjusts itself to the travel of the pedal.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I would forget about this one with the CEL being aglow, unless good service is available and this is the only thing that is wrong..

This requires knowledge, a lot. and a lot of experience and the right tools and diagnostic equipment.
Maybe a good dealer can handle this one..

And no computer tells anyone to replace an exhaust gasket :cheesy: , at least as far I know.:cheesy:
The OBD simply emits codes(clues) as to what is causing the CEL.
The auto-repair industry needs a good book on this subject.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much I feel so stupid. The fuse is label "stop lights" and I was looking forbrake lights. Thats why I am not a mechanic. Guess what there is no fuse on that slot! How could than happen.It was at the grage a few months ago and I asked them to check fuses for the heated seat that stopped working . Maybe they did something.But it was for insepection how could it have passed with no brake lights? This is puzzling. Thanks so much for advice.

Gina

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
rschlitz said:
Thank you so much I feel so stupid. The fuse is label "stop lights" and I was looking for brake lights One must know both English and American, as well as technical and non-technical, and some Swedish. Thats why I am not a mechanic But this should not prevent anything - we do need good mechanics in this field - for all cars... Guess what there is no fuse on that slot! How could than happen.It was at the garage a few months ago and I asked them to check fuses for the heated seat that stopped working . Maybe they did something.But it was for inspection how could it have passed with no brake lights? This is puzzling. Thanks so much for advice.

Gina
Sloppy workmanship is quite the problem - they may have pulled the fuse and then forgot about it(after the light check)...in a hurry....human nature...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts