SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Along with my new wheels, I'm getting new disks and pads. The disks will be the same size just cross drilled and the pad are ceramic.

So I was wondering, how easy is it to install pads and disks on one's own. I just worry a little because brakes are kind of an important safety feature. Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
First of all you break a dish, brakes stop your car. ;)

It's in fact very easy to install new pads and rotors on this car. There are two bolts holding on the caliper which require a 7mm allen key. These bolts also serve as the slide for the calipers and will need to be greased with some kind of brake lube before putting them back on the car. Then you remove the caliper carrier, which is held on by I believe 19mm bolts, but I'm not sure. You'll need a long moment arm for these as they're held with thread lock. To remove the rotor you need to take out the little bolt that holds it on, on my car it was a 5mm allen key. Then you just wanna put silicon grease everywhere something slides and put it all back together. A lot about 2 hours at least for a job like this.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I guess the UK is different then!

The caliper bolts were TORX 45 fixings and the caliper carrier are 18mm ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I guess the UK is different then!

The caliper bolts were TORX 45 fixings and the caliper carrier are 18mm ;)
Oh, maybe they carriers bolts were 18 :confused: , but the caliper was definately 7 mm allen.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Maverickvii said:
What other than the caliper bolts qualifies as "everywhere something slides" and needs to be greased?

Joe
Hmmm, where the pads ride on the caliper carrier and where the anti-rattle clip rides on the caliper carrier. There may be one or two more, but that's all I can think of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts