SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm about to upgrade the brakes on my 9000 Aero, but there's some confusion and I hope you can help out...

First, I got a Goodridge SS brakeline kit from PFS. That was the easy part.

Next, rotors - I'm trying to decide between Brembo & Zimmerman. Both seem highly recommended, but here are some things I can't figure out...

Is there any difference between plain Brembo and Brembo Grey Iron, or are they one and the same?

Are the cross-drilled holes in Zimmerman rotors made after casting, or are they actually part of the casting process?

Finally, brake pads. Apparently Ferodo DS2500 are no longer available in N America, and have been replaced by highly-recommended Porterfield RS-4. These pads have good cold friction, a high fade temperature, and a ceramic coating to slow down the transfer of heat from pads to calipers (and hence to brake fluid), suggesting no need for ventilation by cross-drilling.

Anyone have any experience with Porterfield RS-4?

The car is used for road and street - if I use DS2500 or RS-4 pads, would I be better off with solid rotors?

Love to have your opinion.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Go to the thread in this same forum named brake pads, rotors and hoses. Similar discussion there...

Klim

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used the Porterfield R4-S pads on my old '85 SPG (different brake system as a 9000, not as simple and not really as good either). When I first put them on I drove about a half mile, did a light stop, did another, and then did a hard stop. I came out of the seat and I got the distinct feel of the seatbelt slamming my chest.

After a while they seemed to function more like stock pads. A friend of mine who had them in his Rabbit said he didn't have that problem so I called up Porterfield and they told me the bed-in proceedure was to drive with very light braking for the first 100 miles. I figured I screwed them up by getting them too hot too soon so I ordered another set for my '80 99. I'm going to get a set for my 9K too.

For what its worth, slotted or drilled rotors are a waste of money. The only time I've ever over heated rotors was on a track and they were solid rotors, not vented. I've done numerous stage rallies too and I've always used stock solid rotors.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I changed my own brakes for the first time yesterday, Took 5 hours for 1 wheel LOL... but each wheel after that took significantly less time. I think i could do each wheel in 20 minutes now :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted by geoffc: I called up Porterfield and they told me the bed-in proceedure was to drive with very light braking for the first 100 miles.I figured I screwed them up by getting them too hot too soon...

For what its worth, slotted or drilled rotors are a waste of money. The only time I've ever over heated rotors was on a track and they were solid rotors, not vented. I've done numerous stage rallies too and I've always used stock solid rotors.
Thanks, geoffc. My only concern is that if I also screw up the bedding-in process, at least drilled rotors might clean the pads and maintain the original braking performance you noticed.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My zimmermns said to be broken in too...150-300km light braking...and they are cross drlled...

Klim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts