SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always wondering what is worth it to spend more money on, and what is not.

In today's episode, the topic is brake fluid.

on Eeuro there are two choices:
"ATE Super Blue Brake" fluid for $19.08 per Liter
Dry Boiling Point: 280 deg. C/536 °F
Wet Boiling Point: 198 deg. C/388 °F

"Super Dot 4" fluid for $10.70 per Liter
Dry Boiling Point: 265°C/509°F
Wet Boiling Point: 165°C/329°F

At what point do you use the more expensive stuff? I don't race on the track, but I do use my brakes harder than the average commuter, but still, that doesn't really happen all that frequently, and it's more of a habit of slowing down quickly on an offramp, or in traffic, I'll press them hard. I never like to downshift, I brake instead, theorizing that it will save my transmission in the long run (probably at the expense of rotors, but at least those are easier to change). I've never had my brake pads wear out, but what usually happens is the rotors get warped after a year or two of use (usually 2 years they last until warped).

I'm leaning towards the cheaper stuff but wondering what input anyways has.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If your car isnt seeing track use I'm not sure you'd get a benefit from the more expensive fluid, unless you are doing hard stops in quick succession to get things hot.

A benefit of the ATE super blue is that you can tell easily when you've bled it all the way through, because of the color.

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
Check out some of the Castrol fluids... they might be in the middle of the road on price and slightly higher quality than average.

Note that you don't usually use more than a quart of fluid even with a full flush, so it's not a big difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts