SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 9-3 for a little over a month now, I am absolutely in love with the car, and I haven't stopped cleaning the rims. Thank god its an Aero so the rims are that much easier to clean, anyway does anyone have any advice so I am not cleaning the dust off every few days?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Seadog said:
I've had my 9-3 for a little over a month now, I am absolutely in love with the car, and I haven't stopped cleaning the rims. Thank god its an Aero so the rims are that much easier to clean, anyway does anyone have any advice so I am not cleaning the dust off every few days?
Keep cleaning :) :)
Brake shields are ugly and might overheat the rotor.
Other pads are harsher on the rotor .....

So just keep cleaning them . You can also wax them w.regular wax, that way some dust will just fly off.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Seadog said:
that's what I was afraid of...I'll try the wax thing but other wise I'll keep cleaning
I hear you man, I wash mine twice a week....go thru wheel cleaner faster then beer :). Try Eagle One cleaners, seem to work well.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have the brake dust problem on my c900, I use Blue Coral spray-on rinse-off stuff, but I scrub it in really well. I use a soft but stiff wheel brush, bare fingers, and a terry cloth to work it up really well before I spray it off.

Went from this

to this

In about three minutes.

For about $1.50 :cheesy:

Another method I've heard that seems to work well is using a clay bar, once it's not fit to use on the finish of the car anymore it's still pretty good for wheels.

·
Registered
366 Posts
gambit526 said:
My dealer told me that this is a issues on all of the European cars, is that true or is it just a Saab thing?
on my 2000 Audi A4 and it was bad but not as bad as the saab. I changed the pads to EBC Greenstuff on the A4 and the brakedust went down considerably but the cold braking was diminished- I had 18" RS4 wheels on the car and they were a piece of cake to clean compared to the Vector/Aero rims which I have cleaned twice since picking the car up (spotless) on the 14th (a little under 300 miles now).

I personally don't mind cleaning them, I consider it a price to pay for great braking power.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
gambit526 said:
My dealer told me that this is a issues on all of the European cars, is that true or is it just a Saab thing?
most EU cars use soft organic or carbon pads, they stop good, dont squeek but dust....you can go with semimetalic pads that dont dust as much, but you will be killing your rotor slowly....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I invested in a powerwash unit from Home Depot and I use that in conjunction with a car wash brush and Turtle Wax 2001 rim cleaner no acid spray. Does wonders. I've tried the wax trick, it works. If u keep ur rims clean on ur own and wash car regularly, u wont have any issues, especially when carwashes conveniently miss spots on rims.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If I could convince my wife, I'd be replacing the original pads with EBC kevlar pads. I had them on my last car and they were great for reducing brake dust plus the brake pedal feel is more progressive (which I prefer to the "on or off" feel of the Aero brake pedal).

If you don't want to replace the pads, I can suggest a product that will help with the cleaning of the wheels. It's the Wheel Sealant from Poorboys World which is applied to freshly cleaned wheels. After applying two coats I just use a sponge with normal car wash shampoo to clean the wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts