SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My braking distance is increasing slowly, so I feel the need for speed with good braking. Thinking of getting a set of Black Diamond 12 Grooved Discs and Pads, both Front and Back, along with saab brake hoses. Does anyone else have or used these? Are they worth 300notes or thereabouts? Or am I just paying for the name, when I could equally buy a set of saab Discs and Pads off e-bay for far less?
Sorry for the non-engine-tuned post, but I have to start somewhere, so I'll start with stopping.:cheesy:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hmm - I dont think grooved reallty works that well for direct stock replacements - you just get less braking area and more noise. You need all the braking area you can get on stock diameter....

Better to use plain discs and sink the money into great pads.

For a standard setup - Brembo grey iron (standard) discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads will sort you out very nicely indeed. The standard brembos are actually very 'sticky' discs and dont cost much.

You could also go blackdiamond plain discs and DS2500 too if you want.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I got Zimermans cross drilled fronts and backs and the pads are whatever best eeuroparts had. I am very satisfied with the perfomance. I stood on the brakes from 130 to like 70, and the perfomance was very good. Just for comparison, this is how I killed the stock disks:((
THe only problem I have with the pads is that they dust too much, but perfomance wise the brakes are definitly a step in the right direction from stock ones.

Klim

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I got the Zimmerman cross drilled fronts from GSF, and the rears were plain direct replacements which I gave to my race mechanic who drilled them for me, and PAGID pads f+r. I've used the Pagid's before on a Merc 190E Cosworth f+r. They are very good, and are quite low dust too.

I thought they were only ok at first, then I got the suspension renewed with polybushes all round, now they are alot better. I guess the tired suspension before didn't help.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
UK9K said:
I thought they were only ok at first, then I got the suspension renewed with polbushes all round, now they are alot better. I guess the tired suspension before didn't help.
Thats a really good point, decent suspesnion helps tremendoulsy with braking.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I fitted black diamond discs with predator pads years ago and found them to be very good, good enough for fast track use also if brake fluid is changed to dot 5.1.
The discs i bought were the first ones ever made for a saab 9000 and the good feedback they got proved quite popular.

However, i have since bought discs off ebay from some guy http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sportbrakediscs_SAAB_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQtZkm
in Northern Ireland, i think they are standard 'national' discs (they came in a national box) but have been grooved. I run them with yellow stuff pads all round and find this set up to be excellent. I have, though, the 308mm 9/5 aero discs on the front but would like to think the set up would be more than sufficient as a replacement for the standard set up and a good upgrade.
Maybe worthwhile dropping them an email?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marrk for that, they are on my shopping list. Did you find them to be noisy, as skint sugests?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Slotted discs [forward pointing straight groove] can be noisy in a whirring sort of way under load and is not detrimental to driving experience for me. If, however you suspect that this could be the case for you then go for curved vanes that slice in a backwards fashion, these are quiet.

Drilled discs are a bit rubbish and prone to failure long term.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
As Raggy mentioned I have the curved groove but have them fitted the 'wrong way' round. Under heavy braking you get the niose but I actually like it and can use it to gauge how heavy I'm braking.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't realize that they could be installed the wrong way round. Any benifits to have them 'reversed'?

I thought the hole ideal of grooved disks, was to help clear them of crap and water, there-by giving you better breaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts