SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm told within a month I need front and rear breaks. A place I trust has told me that I need to replace both rotors and calipers. The way it was explained to me was that the calipers are disposable on my car and I might as well buy after market ones. Is that true? The guy said I could save about $40 per wheel with after market. Will I get better breaking with the SAAB calipers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Are your calipers broken (do you get really uneven wear on your disks and pads)? What did he say was wrong with them?

It sounds like bull**** to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If your pads are indeed worn then yes you can get decent aftermarket ones for a much more reasonable price and in the case of brake pads you can get ones that don't dust and provide similar performance.

That's all provided your current pads and rotors are worn enough to warrant replacement. Pads are easy to check yourself (you can see how much is left through the wheels) and will generally be 'squeaky' as well when they need replacing.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Iggyssaab said:
The way it was explained to me was that the calipers are disposable on my car and I might as well buy after market ones. Is that true?
No thats total rubbish :nono;

Pads and discs/rotors are "disposable" not the calipers :confused:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Iggy,

Are you at all DIY savvy (i.e. do you change your own oil)? If so then do the brakes yourself. 4 Brembo disks and front and rear pads should run you about 200 dollars from a reseller like http://www.eeuroparts.com .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts