SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front brake pads and rotors today and I made a big mistake. One of the pistons came completely out of the caliper housing (don't ask how). While trying to put the piston back in I damages the inner caliper seal and the dust boot around the piston.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I buy a rebuild kit for the caliper?

2. What is the right way to get the piston back into the caliper?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
ebne0018 said:
1. Can I buy a rebuild kit for the caliper?
you should be able to, though it may require an import from Europe
2. What is the right way to get the piston back into the caliper?
Firstly fit the seal onto the piston, it just pops over, if you wish to use a lubricant for this, get on some gloves and use brake fluid.

The boot; fit this into the caliper first, then [it is fiddly] fit the piston into the boot and line it up with the hole and insert it back into the calliper making sure that the lip on the boot that should go into the piston doesn't get trapped into the calliper, eventually after carefully pushing the piston in the boot should be able to drop into it's location groove on the piston, once you are satisfied that all is correct push the piston fully into the calliper, that is it, really. You may wish to lubricate the boot assembly with a spray silicone or something similar, don't use a petroleum lube.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So how did the piston get pushed out

I'm about to do the same job. How did the piston get pushed out? I want to avoid your troubles if possible. If it's too embarassing, just email me.

Thanks,
John Martin

·
Registered
527 Posts
You can buy a rebuild kit from www.thesaabsite.com

Part #: 4778262

Be sure to get the $25 dollar one under SAAB 900 97-98!

I just used this kit on my 2001 9-5, so I know it works!

It's pretty easy to put it back together. Just put in the new o-ring in the lower groove, then install the big seal around the cylinder and then put the lip of the seal in the groove and then press down the cylinder. I use a little bit of brake fluid to grease the cylinder so it doesn't get stuck on the rubber.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jmartin said:
I'm about to do the same job. How did the piston get pushed out? I want to avoid your troubles if possible. If it's too embarassing, just email me.

Here is the story. This weekend I was planning on doing the following:
Front/Rear brakes including rotors
New Serpentine belt
Change Man. Transmission Fluid

To do the Serpentine belt and fluid you need the wheels off the car. It is even easier if the rotors are off the car.

This is what we did:

1. Remove front wheels

2. Remove calipers and zip-tie up

3. Remove Rotors

4. Change serpentine belt

5. After the belt change was done I stupidly started the car and as habit I press on the brakes. Well, as you can guess, with nothing to stop the pistons the poped out when the car presurized the brakes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
ebne0018 said:
Will this work for a 2000 Aero? The Calipers are a little different i think
Yes. I have a 2001 Aero and the kit worked fine.

The caliper itself might be bigger to handle bigger pads and bigger rotors, however the bore of the piston hasn't changed in awhile.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the kit from a local SAAB dealer. thesaabsite needed to order the part and I need my car ASAP.

After I called thesaabsite the 25.00 kit was changed to 53.00 just like the 93 kit. My local dealer charged about the same. Hope the kit fits!

·
Registered
527 Posts
ebne0018 said:
After I called thesaabsite the 25.00 kit was changed to 53.00 just like the 93 kit.
There goes my nice little secret! I'm glad I got mine at the lowered price while it was there! :cheesy:

I can't see how the kit costs $53. It includes two seals, a new bleeder cover, and new rubber guides. $25 is even overpriced in my book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts