SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right front Brake Caliper assembly for 1985 Saab 900 Turbo. Urgently need two (14 mm -1.5 thread) mounting bolts for same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im parting out my spg, are your front rotors vented or non vented? if they are vented i have the caliper you need, 30 plus shipping, i will include the entire assembly including the bracket and bolts. i also have 2 brand new in box brembo replacement front rotors if your interested

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I'm not sure if brakes are vented? Let me know where to where & what to look. Will buy, if it's the right assembly. Thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you look at the rotor, it will either be a solid rotor and kind of thin, or it will be wide with a space in between with little fins inside, you'll know what i mean when you look at it

·
Registered
918 Posts
'85 will have solid front rotors.

The caliper itself is the same between solid and vented - just the caliper yoke needs to be swapped, so he could use your caliper with his rotor and yoke.

Alternatively, sell him both front calipers and rotors and he can upgrade to vented!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff;

I haven't had time to look at the brake assembly today. My situation is that the piston assembly seems to be "sticky' (too much pitting,etc) reason for front caliper assembly and for some reason (damn AK roads) I'm missing two attachment bolts. Am I to understand, I can use the caliper assembly with my rotor with a slight swapping of parts. I don't have a parts book, so I want to make sure I get the 'nomeclature' right. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Tony

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've never seen a stock '85 with anything other than solid rotors.

The brake caliper is basically two parts - the part which holds the piston and one of the pads, and the other half which holds the other pad. The pins on the non-piston half are longer to account for the greater width of the vented rotors on '86/'87 cars with vented brakes. Everything changed again in '88 when they went to 9000 brakes on the 900.

I have helped a buddy with an '84 T8 convert to vented discs. We simply used his old calipers but swapped the yoke half (with the pins) and discs from the donor ('87) car. I assume the conversion works the other way as well.

Can't you find the bolts at a hardware store, or do you guys not have any metric hardware up there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ill make you a deal, ill give you both full caliper assemblies, and 2 brand new brembo vented rotors in the box 110 plus shipping, i just paid 50 each plus shipping just for the rotors, so basically your getting 2 free calipers lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff; Thanks again. I'm going to get the parts (from this thread); bolts: no local hardware store & a Saab mechanic told me the bolts weren't available without the whole assembly (whatever!). In any case, it's easier(& cheaper!) to just get the whole assembly when all is said & done.
As long as the piston part works, that will work for me. Cheers.
Tony

·
Registered
918 Posts
If I were you, I'd use the opportunity to upgrade to vented front rotors - they are quite a bit better in an emergency highway stop... but of course that means you need to buy rotors as well... good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts