SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace my my brake booster hose today on my 96 900 SE turbo (automatic). The part is almost right but lacks a t-junction in the longer line heading away from the booster (with the straight check valve). On the original part a thin vacuum line ran from there to a sensor (pressure sensor???) mounted near the firewall. I checked with eeuroparts and they confirmed its the correct and only part now. Has anyone else replaced this? If so what did you do over the missing line...just ignore it?

I would appreciate any thought or ideas.

Thanks

Dezza

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not recall ever having to replace a vacuum hose to the booster - these seem to be a forever item...
I do not think there is a sensor in this line..
Are there any wires or another vacuum line at this juncture ??
Probably the replacement item design has changed, this happens often..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think the Tee you speak of may have branched out to a valve that works on the SAI pump. On my 96 there was no tee, just the check valve, but there was a vacuum valve located very near to the booster on the firewall that controlled the SAI pump.

follow the vacuum line on the firewall to where it goes, report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I have included pictures to help clarify what I am talkig about. I just presume the valve next to the booster was some kind of sensor because it had a wire connector (clearly visible adjacent to it in the picture). The new hose is identical in every other feature. It connect to the brake booster and inlet manifold on the firewall end and then connects to a rubber hose on the other which you lose track of somewhere around the radiator....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You have an automatic transmission, yes? Turbo automatics have an electric vacuum pump and that is the check valve for the pump. Call the place from where you bought the hose and tell them that you have an auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently this is the part specifically for the auto (I double checked that with eEuroparts).........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

checked with SAAB. Interestingly they now list the manual part and the auto part as the same. I also have the saab schematic. The part on the back wall near the brake booster is as I thought a pressure sensor- which likely control the electric vacuum pump. Which takes me back to the square one. The part I have is still the closest to OEM I can get but wont let me run a line to the pressure sensor that controls the pump. I am reluctant to install it because of this and if I buy the part straight from SAAB it wont even let me connect to the electric pump. Anyone know how easy it is to add or remove connectors from these hard plastic lines...can I just heat it up???? Or should I just replace the section without a T with a similar diameter rubber hose???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update 2

I have since confirmed that original part is available (the listings at eEuroparts were inaccurate and have been corrected...they were very helpful) . However the correct part is 265 USD (through them) and my saab dealer quoted me around 350. So I am going to modify the part I got for 37USD. I guess they removed the pressure sensor after the 1997 model year on the autos...I don't know if anything else changed much. Hope that helps anyone else with the same problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts