SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reduced feeling in my right leg due to an old back injury, so when I'm braking the pedal feels 'dead'. I'm thinking about changing the flexi hoses to the stainless braided type of hose (e.g Goodridge) to give a bit more 'feel' to the pedal. I used them on a kit car I built about 20 years ago & they certainly improved the feel on that car - it stopped very quickly!
Has anyone fitted these hoses recently who could tell me whether they improved the 'feel' of the brakes?
I'd also welcome ideas for pad changes to give the same result and possibly improved stopping power. I'm currently using standard Saab pads).
Car is a '97 9000 CD ECO Auto (auto 'cos my left leg doesn't work too well :) ) & is due for a service soon, so I'll ask the garage to change the hoses etc at the same time)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I haven't used aftermarket pads for many years on my SAABs because the stock pad is so good. It is very difficult to get a pad that works better for general street use.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The fitting of braided hoses is highly recommended, it removes most of the sponginess out of the pedal. My brakes became almost Citroen like.....for those of you not had the pleasure of a early self leveling citroen car brakes, no movement on the pedal!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Bronco said:
Has anyone fitted these hoses recently who could tell me whether they improved the 'feel' of the brakes?
I'd also welcome ideas for pad changes to give the same result and possibly improved stopping power. I'm currently using standard Saab pads).
Car is a '97 9000 CD ECO Auto (auto 'cos my left leg doesn't work too well :) ) & is due for a service soon, so I'll ask the garage to change the hoses etc at the same time)
You will like the s/s brake lines. At the same time I changed to Brembo discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads and 5.1 fluid; MUCH MUCH better braking, only thing better involves changing modifications, ie. new calipers and big money. Not needed once you see how good this arrangement works.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I got mine in USA, but I think you can get them in UK from a company called 'Circuit Supplies' which sold me the Ferrodo 5.1 liquid, located in NE greater London.

·
Registered
311 Posts
fitted those braided lines and 5.1 fluid with black diamond pads. very noticeable difference in feel and performance.

Punch

·
Registered
589 Posts
reviving this old thread

I'm about to change my fluid to dot5.1 and fit s/s lines.

How much fluid do I need to change the whole system?

Also, do I bleed the old stuff, emptying the system, then add new stuff? Or do I bleed the new through pushing the old out? (but then how do I know which is the new)

cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Ignition off:
Pump brakes to empty accumulator into reservoir
Suck fluid out of reservoir
Refill to Max
Bleed each caliper until the fluid runs clear, you'll see the difference
NEVER LET THE FLUID LEVEL FALL BELOW MINIMUM
Top up to Max level

I don't know how much it takes, I always used a pressure bleeder.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just had a quick think about it, would it be wise to bleed the system dry, then fit the new lines, then add new fluid and bleed through? As I'm going to lose a heap of fluid when I change the lines, unless the system's empty.

My old fluid doesn't look that bad, but it's probably got bits in that I can't see, so I'd rather not mix new with old.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not sure about "bleeding the lines dry" first, seeing as how air doesn't push liquid that well, so all the old fluid might not come out if you try to pump it out with the pedal - might work with a pressure bleeder though (???). I've never really heard of someone doing it that way myself, and the standard procedure is generally to flush till you see the fluid change color...who knows :confused:?

I'll add my question - how much fluid will the brake system take when switching to up-rated brake fluid? The stuff is pretty spendy and I really don't want to waste any cash in buying extra fluid that I don't need for the job.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I got Goodridge SS hoses fitted last Sept I think ish, along with drilled front and rear discs and Pagid pads and 5.1 fluid. It DID feel alot better, but now I think I'm used to it, I'd like them to be more 'sensitive'. You still have to give the brake pedal a good press tho. Compared to my people carrier brakes I had before, the people carriers were touch with a feather sensitive, which is what I like, whereas the Saab's aren't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts