SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the adlustable springs on for a few months now, and it seems the noise from the front driver side spring perch is getting worse. Since I presume the noise is generated by the spring rubbing the perch, I though it'd go away with time, not worsen...

I know there's a few of us with this suspension, and wondered if anyone has some light to shed. Thanks.

-Tyler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
I've had the rub for a while now, and yes, it is indeed irritating. Everytime I go over a bump, I think about how perfect the suspension feels, until I hear the grinding.

I've often wondered if it were possible to switch the springs left and right and see if that would help. It looks as if my perch keeps the driver side spring tilted forwards though...

li Arc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
To me, the problem with grease is that:

1) It's external, which means it'll pick up dust and dirt pretty quickly, which will soon turn a lubricant into an abrasive, and prematurely wear away the spring.

2) It doesn't really fix the root problem here, which is this:



This picture shows the spring unloaded (which makes it possible to remove the spring by hand since it is short), and where the spring comes into contact with the platform, which is what causes the grinding noises. The location of the rub corresponds to the misalignment of the spring. Perhaps this picture makes more sense what the problem is?

I would be interested in what Brad's solution to this is, Matt...is it a new adjustable platform that is thinner, or is it an angle-adjustable perch? I'm curious as to what Brad's solution is...perhaps I will send him a note or give him a call.

li Arc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the noise is from the spring rubbing the spring perch, just like in the picuture. Grease helped for about thirty seconds until it picked up dirt.

What I was thinking, even when I first saw the springs, is that the perch could be tapered at the bottom to greatly increase the clearance there. Mayeb that's what Brad had in mind with the replacements? At any rate, I emailed him so hopefully after the holidays we'll have something sorted out.

-
Tyler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Tyler said:
Yeah, the noise is from the spring rubbing the spring perch, just like in the picuture. Grease helped for about thirty seconds until it picked up dirt.

What I was thinking, even when I first saw the springs, is that the perch could be tapered at the bottom to greatly increase the clearance there. Mayeb that's what Brad had in mind with the replacements? At any rate, I emailed him so hopefully after the holidays we'll have something sorted out.

-
Tyler
When I went to SEMA this year I saw Afco has a new spring purch that is tapered, and they use a 1" course bolt with a ball end. This would get rid of the binding that is now occuring. It is not a plug and play. The top mount will have to be made with a threaded nut to react the loads from the jack bolt. I think if we added/welded a radius ring to p/n 20193D matching the chassis we would be golden.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Hi guys, I just got a reply back from Brad saying that he doesn't currently have a solution to this, and that they would need a re-design of the platform. He's not saying it's impossible, but he just hasn't done it yet. He normally just puts some grease on it, but I personally wouldn't go doing that.

From my own observations, if the perch could be adjusted for foward/back tilt, this would fix the problem. You could probably have it modified at a shop, but I think that if it means not being able to swap stock parts back in, you'd better get a junkyard set to try playing with instead.

Squaab, that definitely looks like something I'd be interested in...I've found this place that sells the weight jack, but no place with the plate you mention. What kind of modifications are needed? I suppose the spring support well is a curved downwards a bit, and the shape of the plate needed to fit the well would have to match that. But what if we used the existing plates we have from Brad (if the bolt threads mate)?

li Arc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here ya go IJ, the fronts are all the way down, the rears are a few turns up. The fronts didn't go as low as I thought they would, but the rears could be pretty slammed if you wanted.

-Tyler
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
li Arc said:
Squaab, that definitely looks like something I'd be interested in...I've found this place that sells the weight jack, but no place with the plate you mention. What kind of modifications are needed? I suppose the spring support well is a curved downwards a bit, and the shape of the plate needed to fit the well would have to match that. But what if we used the existing plates we have from Brad (if the bolt threads mate)?

li Arc
The p/n I quoted was a new one for '08 and most likely not avail yet. But if you drop the "D" you get the existing one w/o the detent feature. Well to create the curved ring feature I have a couple of thoughts. Turn a nylon donut on a lathe and fasten that to the Afco plate. Cut the top off a stock perch and weld that to the plate. Dimple our own sheet metal and weld it on the plate.
I asked the Afco rep when I saw this setup about reusablity. Brad's arrangement uses 1 1/8 inch "fine" and the new arrangement is 1" course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
IronJoe said:
anybody have a pic of their car with these springs dialed all the way down?

I'd buy them just for looks, depending on the amount of drop :cheesy: :nono;
This is about as low as I can go... Nice clean shiney spots on the front inner fenders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just checked out my driver side spring, and it looks like it's really getting worse. Also, I forget if the new springs fit in the stock spring platforms, but that would be an option. I have my springs dialed all the way low and probably won't need to raise the car for any reason, so if the stock ones fit, I may try that. It'd be a shame to kind of throw $600 away, but at this point anything will be better than that noise...

-t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Tyler said:
So I just checked out my driver side spring, and it looks like it's really getting worse. Also, I forget if the new springs fit in the stock spring platforms, but that would be an option. I have my springs dialed all the way low and probably won't need to raise the car for any reason, so if the stock ones fit, I may try that. It'd be a shame to kind of throw $600 away, but at this point anything will be better than that noise...

-t
It might be too short, but you could give it a go. The springs are pretty easy to remove. I'd worry about the lack of a bump stop or them "falling out" because you have no preload. Don't be throwing out the baby with the bath water. I'm going to work on some mods beginning of this next year. Looks like about $130 for the new weight jack setup and a bit more to create an adaptor ring. Brad made a pretty good base to start for considering there is very little support for the 900c.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Tyler, mine looks worse than that right now, so I wouldn't really complain about it too much ;) One thing about the central axis being misaligned, when I jack up the car to do some work and then need to lower it back down, I need to manually make sure the springs are fitting into the wells properly, because I've had an incident where they didn't, and it distorted my passenger side well (the well ridge was supporting the weight of the car instead).

Squaab, if you're going ahead with the mods, make another set for me, as I'm really interested. You're right: Brad's really started something here, and as far as the performance goes I'm really happy with the setup, but the wear issue is the problem and it needs fixing. Without Brad though, we probably would be searching high and low for some mediocre solutions. It just needs some re-design attention! :suprised;

Another idea: would they have a bolt that had a mating thread pattern? Or could we take the bolt from Brad's setup and fit it to Afco's weight jack?

li Arc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
wow, you guys are kind, i would consider this a rather major issue if i had spent as much money on these things as you did. wouldnt this be considered a serious design flaw to most people? hopefully there isnt too much added stress from the misalignment, it wouldnt be too fun to have a spring fall out of the car at speed :eek:

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
li Arc said:
Tyler, mine looks worse than that right now, so I wouldn't really complain about it too much ;) One thing about the central axis being misaligned, when I jack up the car to do some work and then need to lower it back down, I need to manually make sure the springs are fitting into the wells properly, because I've had an incident where they didn't, and it distorted my passenger side well (the well ridge was supporting the weight of the car instead).
this is also a concerning situation, so what you're saying is that if you were to come over the crest of a hill, or a jump or something, the spring could basically just fall out of the perch? thats not good at all. ive always been pretty concerned about the intrax doing that, as there really isnt too much pressure holding them in there, but these sound like theyre even less firmly in place...

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Paul, I dont know about the others', but my springs are actually pretty snug. The only way I could remove them with no spring compressor is by removing the lower shock mount bolt first. I agree with everyone here, Brad really made a good product for us, all things considered. I would like to see him try to make the next run of springs with a tapered spring perch.

Tonight I'm gonna try to fit the stock perches and see where to go from there, at least until a better solution arises. I'm just glad to have such a good resource here. Happy holidays.
-t
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top