SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the tell tale "hoot" prior to boost.....that my stock bosch BPV is done.

Should I replace with the same Bosch BPV or modify with a Forge?

Is the Forge DV a drop in replacement? How does this differ from the Forge BOV?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the MP bypass/diverter valve, its a billet aluminum replacement to the Bosch unit. Its spring/piston vs. the stock diaphram design and just recirculates pressure back into the intake track.

A blow off valve releases unused pressure into the air making that "pssshhhttt " sound between shifts.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:
I heard the tell tale "hoot" prior to boost.....that my stock bosch BPV is done.

Should I replace with the same Bosch BPV or modify with a Forge?

Is the Forge DV a drop in replacement? How does this differ from the Forge BOV?
Do you currently have, or are you planning on installing any performance mods?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
9-3sleeper said:
Do you currently have, or are you planning on installing any performance mods?
I plan on installing the cold air intake and the sports exhaust within the next 6 months.

edit:Oh, and I have the MBC+A right now.

·
Registered
771 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:
I plan on installing the cold air intake and the sports exhaust within the next 6 months.

i went with a forged unit when mone started going out, but the only reason i did is cuz a buddy of mine had one, and he only wanted 50 for it

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Forge diverter valve sold by GS is a direct replacement. The difference bewteen this and a BOV is that the BPV redirects back into the intake. This helps with low end torque and helps maintain some boost between shifts so I believe the diverter valve is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
With a T5 engine, you can use either a BPV or BOV. BPV recirculates air back to the intake side of the turbo, BPV vents to atmosphere. It doesn't really matter. The difference is whether you want to "hear" it release(BOV) or not(BPV). Neither one adds any performance enhancement other than properly clamping shut under load.

The stock Viggen BPV is supposed to be better than the stock 9-3 BPV so if you're looking to save a few $, you can go with that. It is still a diaphragm valve but it is suppose to not crap out as quick. The Forge or any of the aftermarket metal piston style valves will last the life of your car and are serviceable and offers more clamping power. If you have the $ I would suggest going with a metal piston style valve over the stock one. And yes the BPV is a direct replacement. If you decide to go with a BOV, you just remove the return pipe and plug off the hole in the intake snorkel. either way is wicked easy.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:

ok, so my point really is that if you plan on putting out more than stock hp, you should probably go with the viggen valve or with one in the forge range.

Just as a side note, I have the hyperboost adjustable BPV, and there is no lack of pssssshhhhhhh when I let off the throttle. So either way you should be good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have have the Forge BOV and its great..as for hoot before HP i would say HP first because it seems like the BOV is advertising that you have a fast car..see what im trying to saying?? lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts