SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a Turbo X a few weeks back and I already have the itch to start playing with it. I had quite a bit into my Vector but never really made a build thread. So, Here goes nothing...

Turbo X - 49K Miles

When I picked it up I swapped the Turbo X wheels with my Enkie EKM3s and then shot up to VTuner. I know most of you love the TX wheels.. I personally don't, hence why I swapped them.

Got a fresh coat of wax on it today and got her looking real nice. Current mods are:

VTuner Stage 0 Rev. 2
15mm Eibach Spacers
18x8 Enkie EKM3

I'll check back in soon when I do some more ;ol;:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
looking good! glad to see you ditched the stock rims, man those things r hate them or love them, and i hate them lol

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
hated wheels good choice on the new ones, neeeeeds dropppp holy mother of wheel gap

·
Registered
622 Posts
3rd needs moooore low.. other than that I like those rims. SLAM IT.
Also... do you really need a front license plate.. I hate front license plates. your girl is to pretty to wear a bandaid..

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Love that ride height and wheel gap. It is XWD after all, so any chance of raising it a bit further! Think everyone is so over lowered cars now ;ol;

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yea I didn't even think to take off the front plate! Stupid! I agree it needs to be a bit lower. I'm also running 225/40s which don't help my cause haha. It's just unfortunate that there aren't a lot of suspension options for the TX. It's probably something I'll do towards the end.. Unless I can find me a set of Hirsch springs..

I think first up is painting the calipers. I'm thinking yellow. Next I'd love 35% tint all around. Just sucks that NH law says you can't tint the front windows at all, and I hate the the look of the back tinted and the front not. I may be able to get away with 35% all around but I'm hesitant..

·
Registered
707 Posts
"I agree it needs to be a bit lower. I'm also running 225/40s which don't help my cause".

If you're not interested in going down the lowering route (and it's not an easy/nor inexpensive one...as per my and other postings) a relatively straightforward option would be to go to a higher and wider profile tire. Besides, the load rating on your current tire size may be dangerously close to the limit.

On an 18 x 8 wheel you can comfortably accommodate a 245/45 profile and gain more than inch in each wheel well. Even a 235/45 will give you a solid inch and make quite the difference (in addition to giving you at least 200 lbs a corner margin on load rating). You're also adding to your odometer readings by nearly 5% with your current setup!

Case in point, Continental DWS:

In your current 225/40 18
92Y XL 540 A A 1389 lbs. 21 lbs. 25.1" diameter 825 revs per mile

Compare 235/45 18
98Y XL 540 A A 1653 lbs. 22lbs. 26.3" diameter 793 revs per mile

[245/45 18 at 26.7 " diameter]

Your current wheel is wider than stock (at 8 inches vs. 7.5) and with the added marginal width of spacers probably achieving a smidgen of lowering by virtue of extension to corners (and at least the visual effect of).

Even if you decide (later?) to lower via, say, Hirsch or Maptun, you will still have adequate clearance (Hirsch 10mm at front only, and as much about spring rates as lowering; Maptun coilovers are adjustable).

Welcome to The Club indeed -- there's no turning back now :).

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"I agree it needs to be a bit lower. I'm also running 225/40s which don't help my cause".

If you're not interested in going down the lowering route (and it's not an easy/nor inexpensive one...as per my and other postings) a relatively straightforward option would be to go to a higher and wider profile tire. Besides, the load rating on your current tire size may be dangerously close to the limit.

On an 18 x 8 wheel you can comfortably accommodate a 245/45 profile and gain more than inch in each wheel well. Even a 235/45 will give you a solid inch and make quite the difference (in addition to giving you at least 200 lbs a corner margin on load rating). You're also adding to your odometer readings by nearly 5% with your current setup!

Case in point, Continental DWS:

In your current 225/40 18
92Y XL 540 A A 1389 lbs. 21 lbs. 25.1" diameter 825 revs per mile

Compare 235/45 18
98Y XL 540 A A 1653 lbs. 22lbs. 26.3" diameter 793 revs per mile

[245/45 18 at 26.7 " diameter]

Your current wheel is wider than stock (at 8 inches vs. 7.5) and with the added marginal width of spacers probably achieving a smidgen of lowering by virtue of extension to corners (and at least the visual effect of).

Even if you decide (later?) to lower via, say, Hirsch or Maptun, you will still have adequate clearance (Hirsch 10mm at front only, and as much about spring rates as lowering; Maptun coilovers are adjustable).

Welcome to The Club indeed -- there's no turning back now :).
Thanks! Yea I am planning on running at least the stock tire pretty shortly. I probably should have swapped them out when I put the wheels on but I was too impatient. I just wanted to be in it! Although I like how they feel in the corners compared to the 235s, you're right, I'm cutting it close in terms of load. It's also too bad about my odometer readings! Haha

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am jealous. If it was a SC 6spd TX then I would HATE you. HAHA. I gotta say I LOVE the TX wheels but the rims do look nice. I have the 235/40/18 on my aero and they look good IMHO. gordo

·
Registered
210 Posts
What bhp you have now and how do you find the vtuner?

Needs lowering like mine. Otherwise looks great and welcome to the club !

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Good riddance to the turbo x wheels. I do not like them at all. Please do not lower that car. I cannot stand lowered cars, but I agree it needs window tint and front plate removal.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good riddance to the turbo x wheels. I do not like them at all. Please do not lower that car. I cannot stand lowered cars, but I agree it needs window tint and front plate removal.
Thanks! Yea I'm not sure the order yet, but it'll get done :)

What bhp you have now and how do you find the vtuner?

Needs lowering like mine. Otherwise looks great and welcome to the club !
He puts it at 320.. Do a quick search there is a ton of info on VTuner here..

Thanks for the compliments I love it!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Thanks! Yea I'm not sure the order yet, but it'll get done :)

He puts it at 320.. Do a quick search there is a ton of info on VTuner here..

Thanks for the compliments I love it!!
Go raid Kanundrum's TX for his Hirsch and Maptun bits ;ol; I'm sure he'd part with some stuff

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Go raid Kanundrum's TX for his Hirsch and Maptun bits ;ol; I'm sure he'd part with some stuff
Hey hey hey lets not get carried away here haha

Basically all I am trying to do is take off all the easy bolt ons so I can get project FR-S Going. I have no intention of giving up my TurboX until I possibly can haha. I love that car way too much even with the FR-S I need a good daily for the weather we have around dc thats so unpredictable!

But

I can tell you. I will have TurboX Lowering springs for sale soon.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol Sorry I meant stock springs on the TurboX cause they are 10mm lower all around. Sounds like you may already have them :lol:
Haha damn! I'd like to find springs is I don't have to drop a ton on coilovers. We shall see my friend

1 - 20 of 157 Posts