SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly a big thanks to Jim Mesthene for diagnosing my clutch problem on this thread.

The slave cylinder does indeed need changing.

I have a new slave for my car. I am following all internet/Bentley/Haynes advice on changing this thing.

But I have a big big problem.

One of the hex nuts (the awkward one nearest the rubber) will not turn/come out/and now inoperable.

This one is not coming out....unless someone can think of something that I have no tried. This is not an original bolt I don't think. It is not a 4mm allen key.

So what are my options ?

PS....The slave on this car (1992 900s turbo LBP) is not original it has been changed before (I think) ......and strangely only has 'two' hex bolts (not three) holding it in place. There is no other place for a third bolt on the slave ????? What is that all about ?

Help !

Does the engine have to come out ?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Firstly a big thanks to Jim Mesthene for diagnosing my clutch problem on this thread.

The slave cylinder does indeed need changing.

I have a new slave for my car. I am following all internet/Bentley/Haynes advice on changing this thing.

But I have a big big problem.

One of the hex nuts (the awkward one nearest the rubber) will not turn/come out/and now inoperable.

This one is not coming out....unless someone can think of something that I have no tried. This is not an original bolt I don't think. It is not a 4mm allen key.

So what are my options ?

PS....The slave on this car (1992 900s turbo LBP) is not original it has been changed before (I think) ......and strangely only has 'two' hex bolts (not three) holding it in place. There is no other place for a third bolt on the slave ????? What is that all about ?

Help !

Does the engine have to come out ?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response...

Does anybody have any ideas how to get this hex bolt off ? Or any alternatives.

It is locked solid.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
A picture would help. The three bolts are placed concentrically around the cylinder, so one bolt is not closer than the other two. I'm not sure what an "inoperable bolt" is... Can you not break it loose? Are the threads stripped and it's just spinning? Is the head damaged and you can't turn it with a wrench?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A picture would help. The three bolts are placed concentrically around the cylinder, so one bolt is not closer than the other two. I'm not sure what an "inoperable bolt" is... Can you not break it loose? Are the threads stripped and it's just spinning? Is the head damaged and you can't turn it with a wrench?
I have the new slave cylinder in front me as we speak and it has three holes for the bolts.

The one in the car at moment only has two ??? There is no place on the slave for a third bolt...which would normally be the one below the bleeding pipe.

The bolt I cannot get out is the top one/middle one.

The bolt is now threaded. Well sort off. I can get a 5mm allen key into it, but it won't budge. Nor with multigrips.

I am a big strong lad, it will not budge.

I think someone has put that bolt in with loctite.

Can I use a blow torch on it ?

Is that dangerous in a Saab ?

It needs to come out.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Metal is metal... heat may help. Be careful you don't damage the hydraulic line or the seal on the transmission. You could also try a penetrating fluid, or tapping on the head of the bolt with a hammer to try and break any Loctite or corrosion.

I have no explanation for a slave cylinder with only two bolts... that simply should not be possible. I would be really sure you're not overlooking something there before you get stuck somewhere you can't get back out of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metal is metal... heat may help. Be careful you don't damage the hydraulic line or the seal on the transmission. You could also try a penetrating fluid, or tapping on the head of the bolt with a hammer to try and break any Loctite or corrosion.

I have no explanation for a slave cylinder with only two bolts... that simply should not be possible. I would be really sure you're not overlooking something there before you get stuck somewhere you can't get back out of.
I am already at the point of no return. LOL.

There are only two bolts in that slave (the one in the car). The part that they fitted must be some kinda of non conforming part which is why they locked it in with loctite.

I live in France BTW, so nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to fixing other peoples bodges.

If I could get the last bolt out, life would be a lot easier to see what is going on.

To put things in perspective, my wrist is now in a support for putting too much strain on my wrist trying to get out. LOL.

You can only laugh.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Could be, and a 99 4-speed transmission is basically identical to a 900 transmission. What's funny is how relatively rare a 99 slave cylinder is. :)

Try a penetrating oil, try heat. You can always slip a small diameter pipe over the allen wrench to give leverage as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...I got the bolt free. Yipeee

I used a kitchen blow torch....the small ones you use to brown food. They cost about 20 pounds/euros.

Took two minutes. LOL. I recommend using one of these things because it is small to use and precise with the flame.

Tomorrow I will get the slave out and see what is going on.

Question.....can I find replacements for these bolts/hex screws ?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The factory used allen head screws, which personally I prefer, but many/most people just use hex head screws. There is nothing special about either of them - go to a hardware store or order from Fastenal/McMaster-Carr/etc.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Saab manual transmission technical training literature says to use Permatex Aviation when reinstalling the 3 clutch slave cylinder bolts. If you don't use a sealing compound on the bolt threads, oil will eventually travel through the threads from the transmission to the slave and swell the seals. It may take a couple of years. Go easy on the torque of those bolts... it's going into aluminum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I am ready to take the slave cylinder out (there were three bolts.....it was very dirty so I could not spot it) and everything else.

BUT...In order to unscrew the bolts from the pressure plate I spun flywheel backwards and forwards to get access to the bolts.

Now I have just learnt you should only spin the flywheel anti-clockwise because it will slacken the chain. Eeek.

I did not spin it a full circle.

How do I ensure/know that I have not put slack on the chain ?

Is there anything I can do ?

What does slack on a chain mean ?

Many thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Going backwards could theoretically cause the chain to bind under just the right circumstances. It's very unlikely any damage was done... spin it over by hand in the correct direction a few revolutions. If it goes smoothly, you're probably fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts