SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SaabRally lists these on their website but when I recently inquired none were in stock. Does anyone else make boxed lower control arms? I haven't come across any other outlets listing them for sale either a normal stock part or as a custom made-to-order part.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You can just buy a welder ;)

I think they are dubious though, while the standard part always folds up in a collision, I think the boxed one might be strong enough to bend the frame instead...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
You can just buy a welder ;)

I think they are dubious though, while the standard part always folds up in a collision, I think the boxed one might be strong enough to bend the frame instead...
Right you are , the force of an impact will bend the next weak link.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
What do boxed control arms and accidents have to do with each other?

Lower control arms stress and fail with time, I've personally seen several and had it happen to me. I hate to deviate from stock, but I would be tempted to go with a stronger aftermarket just for piece of mind, the idea of one failing at speed on the highway is disturbing to say the least.

I believe though, that Jim (I think) said they were designed to fail while going backwards, thus at a low speed, and all the ones I have seen that failed or I had fail, broke while going backwards thank goodness.

When this happens as you can guess, it's pretty catastrophic. My axle came loose and my wheel met the fender.

I assume these "boxed" control arms are designed for high stress uses such as rallying and whatnot. I seem to recall instructions from one of the Saab rallying sites on how to box or strengthen the stock control arms. They're a bit weak.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What do boxed control arms and accidents have to do with each other?
If you get into an accident in which you have a huge lateral impact on the front wheel (e.g. hitting a curb or going off the road into the ditch) you will only bend the control arm if you stay with stock ones. If you go with boxed control arms, the control arm will stay strong and the frame will bend instead. I'm sure happy that when I hit a curb in my youthful stupidity the control arm gave way instead of anything else. I could've totaled the car if I bent the frame, and as it was I only paid a few hundred dollars for a new control arm and wheel.

I would be tempted to go with a stronger aftermarket just for piece of mind, the idea of one failing at speed on the highway is disturbing to say the least.
But don't stock control arms fail by fatigue? I understand boxed control arms are stiffer, but would they really provide that much more protection against fatigue? If you replaced your old rusty stock control arms with new stock ones (marinate them in POR15 and Underseal if you like, they'll still be cheaper than boxed ones), wouldn't your car be safe for the next 20 years anyway?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If you get into an accident in which you have a huge lateral impact on the front wheel (e.g. hitting a curb or going off the road into the ditch) you will only bend the control arm if you stay with stock ones. If you go with boxed control arms, the control arm will stay strong and the frame will bend instead. I'm sure happy that when I hit a curb in my youthful stupidity the control arm gave way instead of anything else. I could've totaled the car if I bent the frame, and as it was I only paid a few hundred dollars for a new control arm and wheel.

But don't stock control arms fail by fatigue? I understand boxed control arms are stiffer, but would they really provide that much more protection against fatigue? If you replaced your old rusty stock control arms with new stock ones (marinate them in POR15 and Underseal if you like, they'll still be cheaper than boxed ones), wouldn't your car be safe for the next 20 years anyway?
My point was the reason people get boxed control arms isn't to provide more protection in case of an accident. :D

And yes, it's true they do act as a sacrificial point in case of an impact, but by the same reasoning of what if, what if you wreck because a control arm breaks? :D :D

And lastly, yes, you could simply replace your old fatigued control arms with new ones, and have probably at least 10-15 years of worry free motoring, I would be worrying by 20 though. Rust isn't an issue around here, the failures I've seen have been simply due to fatigue and suspension buffer failure. As for more or less protection, I think that would depend on how they were boxed/strengthened.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Collisions and boxed control-arms have nothing to do with eachother.
Most people use boxed control-arms as so they can keep driving after/while pounding the snot out of the syspension during a rally race, in most of these cases the body shell has been stiffened too or the shell is concidered sacrificial.
For a typical street car boxed arms are just fine until a latteral impact moves your inner fender-well instead of bending the arm, then you loose your precious or spend a lot of time trying to straighten the body out.
I would choose the lesser of two weevils.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts