SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BPV related Failure?

Hello People.

I'd like to have some of your expertise opinions on the problem I face.

I have 2003 1.8t with BSR Stage1. Peak boost at 1.2~1.3 bar.

Recently I got a CEL and I won't get more than 0.2 bar of boost-> much decreased performance, but not like a turtle as in limp mode.

I restart the engine and the CEL will go away and performance regained.

Had this happend for couple of week, usually in the cold morning.

When I went to the shop and tech2ed it, the CEL was related to BPV.
So the machanic tightened hoses around BPV and the problem seems to have solved itself.

Few days pass by, I got another CEL this morning, except, it won't go away even with the restart of the engine.

I'm going to the shop soon and probably have BPV replaced.

Anybody had similar experience?
Also, I had after market HID installed and moved the ballast(power pack) away from the air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ctrlz.

What does the DTC stand for? the tech2 error code?
I've asked some of the best machanics around me and concluded that it could be the boost control valve. I went to the shop but could not solve the problem. Machanics have erased the error code with the tech2, and the CEL is gone and boost is up to normal(1.2bar).

However, it could happen again and if it does, I'm going to just replace the BCV(around $30) and see what heppens.

ctrlz said:
What's the DTC you are getting?

I doubt the bypass valve would fail. Possible, but I would strongly suspect the controlling solenoid before the actual valve. May be something as simple as the connections to the solenoid.
See post #31 in this thread for a diagram:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102298&page=2&pp=20

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
DTC= diagnostic trouble code

MIL = malfunction indicator light, a.k.a CEL = check engine light

Some of this OBD terminology is confusing. It is always helpful to get the exact codes to report back here. Many times the codes are non-specific, but the Saab tech may not tell you that. The random misfire code P0300 is a good example of this. Lots of problems can cause that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts