SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the BOV today and it sends the car into limp mode the install wasn't as straight forward as I would have liked, there was no gasket to remove from the stock diverter, not sure if it's because I have an early model vector. The sound is amazing and the car is significantly faster in the lower gears. It seems to hold the boost for longer. Not sure where to go from here. So I paid $100 more than the forgemotorsports price for the headache, and I'm not sure how or if i'll be able to get a full refund if I can't rectify the problem.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
:cry: This is bad news! I hope you can figure out the problem. Best of luck man!

BTW: What kind of sound does it make? Is it like a whistle, a chirp, or a "kachooo" like with the opti-flow/stock BOV setup that I have?

·
Registered
895 Posts
BOIING! heheh

Os,
when i was fabbin my CAI i had thrown a CEL due to a air leak in the pipe after the MAF. once i solved the problem, (made it airtight) i had no problems.
ya may want to use some sort of permetex to make up for no gasket. when you do, make sure you disconnect the battery for a few minutes,so you lose the CEL, and start fresh. ggod luck man, and if you have a video camera.. get too it man, i wanna hear this beotch!:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it is vented to Atmosphere, be sure it is closing at idle. on my '87 T16 i went to a Forge atmo. dump valve and i had to get the stiffer spring to keep the valve shut at idle. If i was driving along and engine braked to a low speed, like aproaching a light, then pushed the clutch in, the car died. It was sucking air in since the valve wasn't staying shut under vacum.
~Phil

·
Registered
91 Posts
oslowley said:
I installed the BOV today and it sends the car into limp mode the install wasn't as straight forward as I would have liked, there was no gasket to remove from the stock diverter, not sure if it's because I have an early model vector. The sound is amazing and the car is significantly faster in the lower gears. It seems to hold the boost for longer. Not sure where to go from here. So I paid $100 more than the forgemotorsports price for the headache, and I'm not sure how or if i'll be able to get a full refund if I can't rectify the problem.
Today I installed an SSQV BOV from HKS. My first impressions is that wow it is loud! ;oops: ;oops:

On a more positive note, my boost holds much better. Before installation, my peak boost pressures were a little erratic. It would climb quickly, peak and start to decline. Now it goes to 1bar and holds there.

Another interesting thing is that when they removed the original DV, it was noted that the seals had already broken. I wonder whether this could be attributable to the original DV not being able to cope with the increased boost pressure.

For now I am happy:cheesy:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glad to hear it works, I think I didn't seal the block off plate properly. I'm getting a new engine installed so when I get the car back i'll give a follow up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excessive oil consumption plus good relationship with service writer and saab tech means no hassles for warranty work. As a plus the saab tech installed the downpipe for $100 saving me a whopping $250.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
oslowley said:
I'm getting a new engine installed so when I get the car back i'll give a follow up.
Which engine you are getting? 2.0t or 2.0T
If I had the option..I would go for the 2.0T engine..;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
scoobrex04 said:
is this BOV 100% atmospheric? If so, it will cause your car to run rich in between shifts, that may be causing the CEL
I had the same problem installing the BOV from Forge Motorsports. I wrote them and this is their reply:

"If you have purchased and are using and "Atmospheric" valve on the vehicle in question, this is likely the entire cause of the issue altogether.

Any vehicle equipped with a mass air-flow sensor is not designed for the use with an Atmospheric valve in place of a standard Bosch-type Recirculating valve. By venting the residual charge pressure into the atmosphere, a temporary rich condition is created that the vehicles ECU cannot compensate for. While we have incorporated features into our Saab valves and kits to prevent any stalling issues at idle, the atmospheric nature of the valve still has the possibility to create problems at throttle lift, and I have no reason to suspect anything else in this case.

The only way around this particular problem is the use of a factory or upgraded aftermarket Recirculating valve, or through vehicle tuning to the extent to which the car can compensate for this temporary rich condition. This is usually done through software tuning either with a "chipped" or "flashed" ECU, or with some type of standalone engine management.

These are the only solutions to the issues you are currently having."

·
Registered
895 Posts
somethings odd about that tho.. i hear that others have got this product, and are having now problems. now i dont know what to believe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I gotta mine from FMS and it's running OK till now ;)

I'm as confused as u r, it's seems that they r ppl that having problem with the aftermarket BOV and there r those that r running OK :eek:

Hope FMS can standup to clarify :cool:

Cheers :)

M4Gunner said:
somethings odd about that tho.. i hear that others have got this product, and are having now problems. now i dont know what to believe!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Couldn't you get the boost/spool benefits with an upgraded BPV rather than an atmospheric dump valve? It seems that no matter what you do you have to defeat some of the engine's intended behavior or the T8's engine protections to get a BOV to work correctly. Isn't a BOV all for show (aka "noise") on a car/engine intended for a recirc valve? What benefit does a BOV offer over a BPV in a T8 SAAB other than the noise/look at me factor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reduce Boost spike hold boost better :p

johnc_22 said:
Couldn't you get the boost/spool benefits with an upgraded BPV rather than an atmospheric dump valve? It seems that no matter what you do you have to defeat some of the engine's intended behavior or the T8's engine protections to get a BOV to work correctly. Isn't a BOV all for show (aka "noise") on a car/engine intended for a recirc valve? What benefit does a BOV offer over a BPV in a T8 SAAB other than the noise/look at me factor?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Spawn said:
Reduce Boost spike hold boost better :p

Better than a sturdier BPV like the car is intended to have? Why does venting boost to the atmosphere when off throttle improve things when the T8 expects to have a BPV?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts