SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just bought a 1999 Saab 9-5 with 146,000. It had a new speed sensor installed and a water pump, not to old spark plugs, and clean air filter. i had to change transmission fluid i done a 3 1/2 quart flush but still looks nasty so im gonna take it to a mechanic and see if he can flush it out better, i also notcied what seemed to be metal on the drain plug.. hoping its not gonma lead to something bad. and i also have a engine light and check gearbox light on. anything i should watch out for and thoights? I paid $3795.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Price seems high for a car with the engine and gearbox light on....

Get the codes read, or better yet get a code reader and read them yourself and then post back. There is always someone here who has dealt with the code that you will find!

Best to do a 3x flush and fill on the transmission. Drain-fill-drive-drain-fill-drive-drain-fill. That'll clean it out (Drive is about 20-30 miles, best to do this over a couple of days to keep from getting burned with the hot oil)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lights didnt come on til after I got it but the told me about the fluid getting nasty. The lights came on day or 2 later as I had them read at auto zone I got these codes 1. P0455 which said could be a vacuum leak it was found and fixed it and then code 2. P1460 and code 3. P1624

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
P0455 is a leak in the EVAP system (it is noted in the WIS as a serious leak)

P1460 says that the immobilizer has been activated. Did you happen to have a second key that didn't work with the car and then went back to another key?

P1624 says that the AT is not shifting properly, there is no more on that code.

I'd do the 3X flush on the transmission and if that doesn't clear it up, go back to the seller and tell them something is wrong with the transmission and you want them to take care of it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
P1460-Immobilizer means all systems not programmed to the TWICE; ask the PO if the MIU, TWICE or ECU was replaced? You will need a Tech 2 to correct that.

P1624-Related to above, the TCM is not getting the right BUS signal from the ECU.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,302 Posts
Holy moly people, I could have sold you an 01 with half the miles for that!
Maybe it's just me, but I do alot of research on vehicle purchases. Everything from year, engine and trans. type etc. And if there were any idiot lights and codes thrown I would walk away.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
EVAP is part of the pollution control system designed to capture evaporation of gasoline from the tank and other places and not let it get into the air. There are about a half-dozen components in this system that can fail.

The easiest is that the gas cap is loose. Then broken hoses, then failing components. The way to figure this out is to pressure test the system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.