SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bad weekend for car issues.

First on Saturday my 99 9-5 sedan dies (see http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112052), likely a DIC (aka. IDM) blown.

Then this morning, the 01 wagon (88k Miles) drives fine into work then when I try to restart it cranks but won't catch. I suspect probably the fuel pump (damn expensive again), but haven't ruled out something else. (Maybe DIC on this too?). Nothing prefaced this breakdown at all. No codes, no driveability changes, nothing... :(

Both cars at the same indy (who is probably laughing at all the $$ I will be throwing their way!)

Tempted to sell them both and get a Honda Pilot or something more reliable... (yes I am despairing at the Saab quirkiness...). Still love the cars though.. just don't know if I can afford to own them.. :cry:

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you find out that the fuel pump is the issue did you know that you can replace the pump itself and not the whole assembly which is over $400. The exact same Walbro pump can be found for around $100. I ended up buying a Bosch at Advance Auto for the same price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL, it must have been a bad Saab weekend. My 2 are down also. Leaking bypass valve on my "00 wagon and lost reverse on my '95 900SE (and the hood won't pop up so you can get your piggers underneath.) I'm in MN so it must have been the strange heatwave. Good luck to you, i'll send sympathetic thoughts when I start wrench time tonight.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotta be the heat.. thats the only explanation LOL.

You'd figure Saabs would like it better here with all the scandanavians around... :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel pump on the 01. Mechanic say $1000 again. I need the car gotta put out the cash.. Don't have the time or skill to do it myself. :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dude, if I can, you can just use one of the DIY walkthroughs on this site or others. $400 vs $1000 is a big deal, especially with the downtime at the mechanics (if they don't do loaners like my mechanic). I don't even own tools other than a nice torx bit set ($25) and a socket set with extensions ($35). It like Legos, it all fits together nicely.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I have NO cars ATM and need a ride for work, kid pick up, commute etc. I have no option BUT to let mechanic do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't you use the DIC off the wagon on the sedan until the wagon is done at the indy?? Your other post said the DIC was definitely the problem on the sedan, according to the indy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sucks. Yep same reason I started doing it myself: limited budget and no backup vehicle. But if it is at the shop already... gotta get 'er back working! I appreciate mechanics and wouldn't hesitate to take my car in if it was beyond me but the dealership here really really burned me :evil: and the import shop needs the car for days and days and is not close to me. They'll rent you a car but it is cheaper to get one from Enterprise. Start with oil changes and work up from there.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Different engines

waynlewis said:
Can't you use the DIC off the wagon on the sedan until the wagon is done at the indy?? Your other post said the DIC was definitely the problem on the sedan, according to the indy.
The wagon is a V6, the sedan is the I4. DIC is a 2 banks of 3 for the wagon, there is a single DIC for the sedan.

So unfortunately... Shame on me for getting different motors I guess.. :nono;

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealership bad... yep...

Yep, I got burned too. I use Lancer Auto Service in downtown St. Paul. All they service is Saabs, BMW's and Mercedes (plus the occasional domestic for good measure). They also carry the Nokian line which is how I found them in the first place.

They are actually really really good guys there...

·
Registered
312 Posts
hmm. Am I the only one who dont have a serious problem with my car...must be the weathter....saab is designed for the 8 degrees celcius we have here in the north of Europe....scandinavia..having had the car for 8 months still noe bigger problems...only valvecovergasket and oil and filters...hmm

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saab95lpt2l said:
hmm. Am I the only one who dont have a serious problem with my car...must be the weathter....saab is designed for the 8 degrees celcius we have here in the north of Europe....scandinavia..having had the car for 8 months still noe bigger problems...only valvecovergasket and oil and filters...hmm
We've had crazy warm temps.

I figured that since I AM Swedish and I live in the state with the highest concentration of Scandinavians in US, I might have some leeway from Saab... :( Guess not... ;oops:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both Saabs fixed!!!

Final total: $1534. Fuel pump and filter and line replacement, labour, and DIC, labour (and tows for both of them, although that money will come back via my towing insurance!)

I think the other factor that plays into this is that both cars are of about equal vintage (99 vs 01, 93.5k vs 88k miles respectively).

So fuel pumps and DIC's go around 90 000 miles it looks like???

Still need Nokian WR's on the sedan (order coming into town later this week).

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
who man that sucks!

Glad you got it sorted, half a million later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts