SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my plugs with some bosch platinums from pep boys. My 91 9kT is chipped so it runs a bit more boost than stock. up to about 15lbs it runs fine but as soon as it goes past that it sounds like detonation, or something else going wrong. I lose all power and there is a deep gurgling sound that i hear from the engine bay when it boosts more than 15lbs (im assuming thats detonation) but the guage shows it still not losing boost.

So does that sound like the plugs to anyone? Right after I installed them it seemed to hesitate a bit when boosting alot but this total loss of power, and hesitation while still boosting just happened a week afterwards.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Saab allegidly designed the DI unit around NGK plugs and numerous people who deviate from that make have had problems so to be sure put the proper plugs in.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Specified AND required NGK plugs are mebe $2 each on a bad day.. A new DI cassette starts at $300 and goes to $500 depending on the greed of the seller.
Using other than the exact specified plugs WILL cost you a new DI..
Food fer thought :)

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I tried the Plat 2+ ones a long time ago and no joy. I've been running NGKs ever since and all is well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
But what if you do not have a DI Cassette? My 89 9k is pre DI Cassette, does anyone have a pre 89 without DI Cassette who has tried the Bosch or other brand plugs? What happened?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
the rule of thumb is simple, fit NGK and just accept that saab know what plug to fit :lol: i took a c900i to a bosch agent years ago and he put bosch plugs in and i didnt even get home with out the car misfiring and playing up

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing I've never understood is why the Haynes manual says Bosch FR
8 D+ (and others, depending on the engine) meet spec. What were they thinking?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts