SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the experienced.
Driving 1988 900 NS and its cuts out and Check Engine Light comes on. Hesitates a couple times then CEL goes off. Decide to head back to the garage, barely make it back, feels like its running on a couple cylinders.
Hear a clicking sound coming from the RH corner below the glove box, believe its the Bosch LH control unit or System Relay...not sure. Anyway, check the cap & rotor + pull the plugs. All plugs look black, rich mixture.
Anybody have something like this happen?:nono;
Also, attempted to pull codes but couldn't get the CEL to go out with ignition key turned on. Steps #2 & #3 in Bently manual, page 240-6.
Ok, give what you can. Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Sounds like an AMM fault - there should be testing procedures in the bentley, better to just swap in a known good unit to test - maybe a local indy has a spare he wouldn't mind lending you?

Maybe also be a bad air leak, check the intake piping, although I'm not sure that that would throw a CEL code.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red Baron-thanks for the reply. I've got a spare AMM. I'll do the change out and let you know.

Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Baron and those who may assist with this problem.
RB suggested changing out the AMM. This was done. The new one looks new but unable to know for sure if it works. Bently provides a test that requires the car to be running-warmed up. Not possible since my 88 NA 16v is not running too well.
Anyway, I was hoping Red Baron and staff could help explain why

1. getting the clicking (relay contacts) from the LH 2.4 control
2. unable to to get the CEL to go out with the ignition key on and grounding the test harness connector pin. I was hoping to retrieve codes.

What intrigues me the most is how sudden the problem came about.
Driving down the road and ignition system/fuel system shuts the engine down momentarily, causing the CEL to come on. Then all systems resume, CEL goes off.
Farther down the road, it begins to cutout more aggressively, resulting in barely able to keep it idling.:nono;
I can run it at 2500 rpm. CEL remains on with sychonized dimming when LH 2.5 control relay opens/closes.
Exhaust does have excess unburned hydrocarbon smell.

I'll wait for a reply on the above. Hope its not an overload for the viewer/responder.
Cheers, Pete

An ignition control problem would show up as a blinking CEL...
Fuel control problem is a solid CEL.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I know that my 89T16v LH2.4 can work with an NA89 LH2.4 module (bosch 570 vs 580), but performance suffers. At least it runs and passed MOT/emissions. Your 87 should be able to switch out to your 88 providing they have the same harness (turbos not sure about NA). I have spare ECU for 88 T16v Bosch part No. 538 and a spare AMM, and a spare AMM for my 89 but no ECU. If ya need one, but am in Valdez for another ten days or so, b4 I get back to Anchorage. Might begin to check your grounds.

pierre

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Check for loose connectors or pushed out pins at the relays, LH ECU and ignition plugs and sockets.
See if the problem disappears with the fuel pump jumped.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks saabites, all we need is a little direction from the experience pool. It can be lonely with the canopy (front hood) open.

I'll be checking back.
Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim Mesthene said:
Check for loose connectors or pushed out pins at the relays, LH ECU and ignition plugs and sockets.
See if the problem disappears with the fuel pump jumped.
Jim-yudda man! Jim has not steered me wrong and I appreciate his helping mind.
The problem was solved. I briefly checked for loose connections and cleaned up the grounding points. Then I went right for the fuel pump test (jump 87b & 30 terminals of the pump relay). That did not improve the problem. The fuel pump was operating-you could hear the fuel at the pressure regulator.
So I put the fuel pump relay back in its socket and started the engine to feel and listen to the clicking sound--sure enough it was coming from the FP relay. I then wiggled the relay in its socket-BAM! the clicking stopped and the engine went to a 800 rpm purr.
You must realize the garage scene-lower foam panel removed and screws here and there. Simple removal to gain access to the Jetronic control box area and FP relay, but many thinking moments of "what is holding the panel in place?"
Anyway, I am happy camper right now. You know the office chat--people seem to really dig it when one of my 900s experience problems. What they don't realize is the incredible on-line folks who know the truth. These are great cars and the people that own them want to keep them running themselves.
Thanks again to those people who decided to assist me. Even though Jim's the man, the other dudes have equal value in my book.
I'll be around
Pete:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts