SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i should use the search, but I'm a VW guy, and I don't know where to start. I'm buying a 93 9000 turbo next week, and there is a problem with the boost. The car runs and idles great, but the boost only goes half way up the gauge (still green) and doesn't move...the thing is killing gas, and is super slow....any ideas???? TY saab guys. I'm really getting excited to drive another fine european car.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Do a search on this forum, there are TONS of info on this. Do you go into yellow at all?

Klim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it'd be great if it was that easy....what are some good mods to get a little more boost out of this thing. I keep seeing different fueling being an issue, what will this one be most likely? 93 9000 2.3T

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
How do you think about mods if you barely get to the middle of green? Disconnect a hose from BPC which goes to the wastegate. Then take a ride, and see where the boost goes.

klim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the rod from the wastegate acctuator, it's fine. I pulled the middle hose off of the BPC, nothing happened. I pulled the wire harness off of the BPC, nothing happened. I left the positive battery terminal off for like an hour, and no change...what's the deal?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check all the pipes after the turbo are still connected to each other.. check the airfilter is completely clogged.. do you have a check engine light on? Does the car have traction control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car does have TCS, no TCS light is on, I have removed the inlet air tube from the filter house, so it's just sucking straight in...the car idles and runs fine, there is just no boost. I unplugged one of the TCS controllers, and it went into limp mode. I plugged it back in and it was fine after re starting the car. BTW about TCS..I see there is an add on saab shut off switch...Where can I get this kit? Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've not had one with TCS I was just wondering if it was in limp home mode.

When you pull the middle BPC hose off does it feel any better? Have you checked that the wastegate rod actually moves if you pull it by hand? I havent done it but from what I've read if you pull the middle hose you should get maximum boost pressure until the fuel cutoff (assuming you had the throttle wide open) this would prove the turbo / wastegate was good I suppose.

You need to know if the fault is with the guage showing the wrong reading which could be a leaky vacum hose or if its something more serious like a stuck / broken wastegate or even a poorly turbo. I saw a wastegate on one of the forums that had fallen off internally so the turbo just wasnt spinning up.

Just thinking out loud but maybe you should pull the inlet pipe to the turbo and check it spins freely and that there isnt any play in the bearings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I'm starting to think it's a bad turbo....but that doesn't seem too bad, I'll just go a little bigger :cheesy:...or maybe just rebuild it....either way, i just want to know where to dig in....I've done two motor swaps in my golf in the last year, a turbo on the front of a motor doesn't seem to bad.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Take the intake hose of and try to rotate the compressor wheel of the turbo by hand. See if it rotates easily. If you get no boost with the BPC disconnected then it is one of three things: 1)Your turbo doesn't work. 2) Wastegate is gone(like the spring, or not adjusted right at all) 3) You have got a big hole somehwere between turbo and intake manifold. ANd i don't mean a vacuum hose. I mean a HOLE...like a hose disconnected or something.

KLim

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Are you actually driving the car or testing it in a workshop ? i.e. you don,t produce much boost unless car is under load
check down the side of the IC, I,ve seen the plastic end caps separate creating "a big hole"
take the actuator off the WG pin and check by hand the WG is free to open / close ( you,ll hear it "clank") when it shuts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts