SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of questions for you experts.
My Saab is a 1986 T16 Aero and I am having some issues with the Boost.
It only goes halfway up the yellow And the APC solenoid on the radiator is chattering every now and then ,strangely this will disappear if I press the brakes:confused:.I am led to believe that the Cruise control is linked with the boost and this has also stopped working.Fuses checked ok.
Sometimes if I am on the Motorway and I put my foot to the floor (as you do)The boost will come in and Just enter the red it picks up lovely.
I have changed the following,

Vacum pipes
Spark Plugs
Rotor arm
Dizzy
Airfilter
cleaned inside the throttle body housing,Idles nice at about 900rpm.Although when it is cold seems to stutter when you touch the accelerator.

Sorry this goes on a bit,but it is doing my head in,other than this the car runs fantastic.
Any help would be great.
Cheers

·
Registered
888 Posts
your boost will be limited by your quality of gas. Cheap gas = pinging. Pinging = wastegate opening. When the waste gate opens, you loose your boost. I would try using another brand of gas, and buy the highest octane you can then see what happens. The APC system will boost the turbo pressure as much as it can safely do so. When the system detects engine knock, it will reduce the boost pressure.

I have seen the wiring on the APC computer come loose sometimes. This will also cause intermitant poor APC performance. The APC box is on the left fender, held on by two bolts. It is a black (or red SPG) plastic box about 2" by 4" by 6".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running on Unleaded 95 at the moment,but I can get super unleaded which is 97,I will run the tank empty and see what happens.I have removed and checked the connections to the APC.I also found a bad earth to the APC solenoid which I repaired and now get a click when the ignition is on.

Thanks for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts