SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I have searched and read the forum and was still not able to solve my problem.

When I apply full throttle (push the pedal to the floor quickly) at say 45mph in 4th gear (auto) the trans kicks down into 2nd and the boost spikes off the chart, 30psi+ and the engine bogsdown. If I don't take my foot off the gas immediately the engine will start to backfire and it sounds like the engine or turbo is going to kill itself. It is usually consistent in both normal and sport mode but the spike is much worse in the sport. Sometimes in normal mode I will get a spike at 25 and the engine will hold together and off I go. Othertimes it won't hold the pressure and bogsdown/backfires. It also seems to be much worse after the cars has warmed up.

If I don't apply full force to the throttle I can control the amount of boost with some success but it is very sensitive. I just took it out for some more test runs. Without In sport mode I got a spike of 27psi then it dropped and held at 17psi and creeped up to about 22psi and held.

If I start off at 0mph and run let the trans do it's thing it will shift through the gears with no problems and I am able to push the pedal all the way to the floor while I'm in 2nd gear and keep it there until I'm in fourth with no problems. But If I let off the gas for a second and push the throttle back to the flow quickly I get the boost spike and the engine backfires etc... the last time I did this and kept pushing the engine I got a blinking CEL that went off after about a minute.

I've checked the wastegate and even when hot it is not sticking. I've adjusted the acuator many times trying different settings one turn at a time. Base boost is about 3psi the last I ran it with the BPC unplugged.

I've put different springs in the BPV and the harder the spring the worse it acts.
I've put zip ties on all of my vacuum hoses and most are new.
The weird thing is that before I got the ECU I had a SMBC and I started having this same problem. I took it off and took it to the dealer and the just replaced the BPC. I did this again last week as I thought that might be it.

The only other thing I can say is that it sounds like something is opening (or closing) that shouldn't. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
shesselinkjr said:
Let me start by saying that I have searched and read the forum and was still not able to solve my problem.

When I apply full throttle (push the pedal to the floor quickly) at say 45mph in 4th gear (auto) the trans kicks down into 2nd and the boost spikes off the chart, 30psi+ and the engine bogsdown. If I don't take my foot off the gas immediately the engine will start to backfire and it sounds like the engine or turbo is going to kill itself. It is usually consistent in both normal and sport mode but the spike is much worse in the sport. Sometimes in normal mode I will get a spike at 25 and the engine will hold together and off I go. Othertimes it won't hold the pressure and bogsdown/backfires. It also seems to be much worse after the cars has warmed up.

If I don't apply full force to the throttle I can control the amount of boost with some success but it is very sensitive. I just took it out for some more test runs. Without In sport mode I got a spike of 27psi then it dropped and held at 17psi and creeped up to about 22psi and held.

If I start off at 0mph and run let the trans do it's thing it will shift through the gears with no problems and I am able to push the pedal all the way to the floor while I'm in 2nd gear and keep it there until I'm in fourth with no problems. But If I let off the gas for a second and push the throttle back to the flow quickly I get the boost spike and the engine backfires etc... the last time I did this and kept pushing the engine I got a blinking CEL that went off after about a minute.

I've checked the wastegate and even when hot it is not sticking. I've adjusted the acuator many times trying different settings one turn at a time. Base boost is about 3psi the last I ran it with the BPC unplugged.

I've put different springs in the BPV and the harder the spring the worse it acts.
I've put zip ties on all of my vacuum hoses and most are new.
The weird thing is that before I got the ECU I had a SMBC and I started having this same problem. I took it off and took it to the dealer and the just replaced the BPC. I did this again last week as I thought that might be it.

The only other thing I can say is that it sounds like something is opening (or closing) that shouldn't. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help.
Wastegate or ECU problems... although I will bow to superior advice from others!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts