SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I ordered a boost gauge (not the problem), but I decided to mount it on my A-pillar to make it look nicer, so I ordered this pod from here: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_225&products_id=2480
I got the pod before the gauge today and idk how its supposed to go on. Look at the pictures, it looks like the ends are supposed to have been trimmed to fit the contour of my A-pillar, but it hasn't been. Am I supposed to do that? How would I do that? Or did partsforsaabs.com screw up?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
that doesn't look right. i've never had one that had a closed end like that.

you can trim it, just use an aviation shears, or some other robust scissors to do so. it should cut pretty easily.

then if it still doesn't fit right, heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the plastic - then hold and mold it to the shape of the pillar.

be sure to not heat it up too much or the plastic will just melt.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
They probably sent you one for a Saab 900, but an old classic 900, a totally different automobile, only the engine is a carryover..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that doesn't look right. i've never had one that had a closed end like that.

you can trim it, just use an aviation shears, or some other robust scissors to do so. it should cut pretty easily.

then if it still doesn't fit right, heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the plastic - then hold and mold it to the shape of the pillar.

be sure to not heat it up too much or the plastic will just melt.
I got up early to call England and they said its supposed to come this way and get trimmed, they suggest using a blowtorch to heat up a stanely blade/utility knife. Wow, well that's false advertising in my book. Would a hair dryer get it hot enough to cut?

·
Registered
175 Posts
quite well, Just make sure you get one with decent wattage!

You will need to go slowly though (dont press through it too fast) make sure your in a nice well ventilated area because there are lots of toxic fumes (so I probably shouldn't recommend this) and you may need to sand little pieces down if you went too quickly!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quite well, Just make sure you get one with decent wattage!

You will need to go slowly though (dont press through it too fast) make sure your in a nice well ventilated area because there are lots of toxic fumes (so I probably shouldn't recommend this) and you may need to sand little pieces down if you went too quickly!
Do you have a boost gauge? Plus i don't think this pod will even work/fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have to say it looks to me like its supposed to be mounted on the other pillar (passenger side) which makes sense as you bought it from PFS in Europe!

Mine is where my headlight switch was, I think it looks nice there, except my hand gets in the way sometimes.

Some people just use the little metal universal pods!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say it looks to me like its supposed to be mounted on the other pillar (passenger side) which makes sense as you bought it from PFS in Europe!

Mine is where my headlight switch was, I think it looks nice there, except my hand gets in the way sometimes.

Some people just use the little metal universal pods!
I know where its supposed to go, left side since I bought it under the left hand drive section. I hate how the little pods look, it needs to look clean on the pillar covered in headlining material. It's not even like its easy to cut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts