SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this problem?

I am looking at purchasing one of these, and the boost gauge doesn't work. The car doesn't seem like a rocket ship, but there are no codes either, so I don't think the turbo is actually defunct. The gauge literally does not move at all though which freaks me out a bit.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
A scan tool, or even the torque app, can read the PCM which will tell you if the car is indeed making boost easy enough. ;ol;

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately my friends who were able to go check the car out (in Cali, I'm in NJ) did not have a scan tool. The dealer did send me a video after they left of him out on a test drive with the boost gauge working.

They had to jump the car which he said put it in limp mode. A new battery made the gauge work again apparently, and it got most of the way to red while the guy was driving it, so I think it's all good.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little feedback here. I swapped the boost controller before I left Cali, and I thought it had rectified the problem. It did not... After driving 3000 miles it started acting up again, although not as severely. It doesn't go into limp mode, or throw a CEL, but it does store a code for overboost. Replacing the BCV is on my list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully that does the trick.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
A little feedback here. I swapped the boost controller before I left Cali, and I thought it had rectified the problem. It did not... After driving 3000 miles it started acting up again, although not as severely. It doesn't go into limp mode, or throw a CEL, but it does store a code for overboost. Replacing the BCV is on my list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully that does the trick.
BCV is super easy to do so probably worth a try. But I would suspect wastegate actuator too.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately I have two, or three of these turbos laying around plus some spare parts. :)

The control seems pretty good at intermediate, and variable throttle, I only seem to trigger the code when I lift suddenly which is what is making me think BCV. I'll look at the instantaneous data as well, and see if I can extract anything useful from it.

I'll have the battery out tonight to chase down a coolant leak, so getting to the BCV should be even easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
Fortunately I have two, or three of these turbos laying around plus some spare parts. :)

The control seems pretty good at intermediate, and variable throttle, I only seem to trigger the code when I lift suddenly which is what is making me think BCV. I'll look at the instantaneous data as well, and see if I can extract anything useful from it.

I'll have the battery out tonight to chase down a coolant leak, so getting to the BCV should be even easier.
Sounds good, give it a try and let us know how it goes. ;ol;

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BCV seems to have cleared it up. I'm over 200 miles in with no more codes cropping up, that doesn't mean there aren't a few other issues though lol.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update here. The boost gauge on this car is like the ultimate CEL. Virtually any troublesome operation will shut down the boost gauge, then a couple start cycles later I'll usually get a CEL. The boost gauge will even trip for proprietary codes though, which often won't trigger a CEL.

The boost controller, and BPV cleaned up the overboost problems, I hesitantly say permanently as it's been over 500 miles.

Later I had to do an EVAP solenoid as well which eventually did trigger a CEL, but shut the boost gauge down first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@jbarstad 2011 saab 9-5 turbo6. Turbo gauge stopped working. Turn on . Just wouldn’t read. I had two stored codes (p2097, p0496). Nothing relating to turbo. Once I cleared the codes. Turn car off an back on the turbo gauge came back to life reading again. Any ideas what I should go down an replace ? Evap solenoid ? Or purge valve ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, I'm not sure what the deal is with the turbo gauge, I know it sounds like I had it figured out above, but I've subsequently had other issues that haven't impacted the functionality of the gauge at all.

I will say, the last time I was having issues with the boost gauge I also had a bad purge valve which was throwing a code occasionally. Replaced that, and the boost gauge stopped turning off. Ended up with a more difficult to diagnose/intermittent "large leak" code that I still haven't resolved, but boost gauge always works.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that EVAP code is shutting down your gauge, and it's probably the purge valve on the rear cylinder bank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@jbarstad for sure I replaced boost pressure sensor as well, car would lose boost during pull and fill like Mis fires.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
@jbarstad for sure I replaced boost pressure sensor as well, car would lose boost during pull and fill like Mis fires.
If you’re getting misfires, are you running a tune? Even without one the V6 can pop coil packs, especially ones located near the exhaust. Denso Iridium IKH22 plugs gapped at 0.80mm helped my ‘11 9-5 Aero tremendously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@joshernator it felt like misfires but I believe it was more so directed towards the boost letting off cause the faulty sensor i replaced . I’ve had no issues sense then with that problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve cleared two stored codes (p2097, p0496, no CEL) and since the start up after the turbo gauge has been working and codes havnt came back.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That how mine was as well. I'd clear it out, and then a day later the boost gauge would drop out, then after a few drive cycles I'd pull an EVAP code. Once I swapped the purge valve ($30? & 30 minutes) all was well.

I also had a power issue with a faulty boost controller, car was slow, and clearly down on power, wouldn't make boost, etc. It didn't feel like a misfire though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Purge valve solved the boost problems for me. Haven’t replaced evap. If I have any more turbo gauge problems that’ll be my next replacement . Faulty sensors . Super easy to replace and very inexspensove sometime . Thankfully it was just those on my end. Havnt has any new codes pop sense then

1 - 17 of 17 Posts