SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys i put in my boost gauge in the other day. real easy instalation (1 hour)...all you do is run your vacuum line through the firewall, i chose to use the grommet behind my pedals that follows the steering linkage it seemed to be the easiest and took 5-10mins, the line i chose to tap into is very noticeable with your engine cover off, its coming off of the fuel rail and is a thin black vacuum hose, once thats teed off all you have to do is decide where you want to mount the gauge, run the wires, and hook up the electrical and ur done. i decided to mount mine on the steering column because i like having it right in front of me. i chose an autometer boost gauge with a silver bezel and silver face, i kno it doesnt match the dash but it does match the metal accents of the interior perfectly...

i cant post the pictures because its saying theyre too large, can anyone help with this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Never thought of putting it there!

Been wanting to put a boost gauge on for some time, but where to locate it? It never crossed my mind to putting it on the steering column, but it looks quite smart I think. Also no ugly tubing or wiring on display as a dash top or pillar mounted one would have. Pillar mounting is out anyway due to the curtain airbag running down the A pillar.

Got any photos of where you teed in the gauge?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont now but i can take some and have them posted very shortly...

if you take off ur engine cover by undoing the three star screws its very noticeable... its toward the right side, kinda underneath the yellow oil cap...
its coming off the fuel rail

ill post pics very shortly

·
Registered
128 Posts
That looks pretty cool.

T-8 monitors all readings from the engine. All SAAB would have to do is write a program to display these readings on your SID.

It would be cool to be able to scroll through and display things like intake air temperature, gearbox oil temperature or exhaust gas temperature.:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a3aqeous-

i bought everything from a local performance shop... these gauges are pretty much universal and therefore dont have to buy one specific for the 9-3...its an autometer ultralite gauge that cost about $60 plus another $15 for the gauge pod

partsmanager-
thatd be awesome if we could have our SID display gauge numbers like that, i wonder if they could, id love to kno my intake, exhaust, and oil temp...especially if they could do it right through our SID

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
looks good, dead center, I like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I admit, that gauge looks real nice but (excuse my ignorance) what purpose does it serve? Isn't it relaying the same info as the boost gauge already installed next to the speadometer?

·
Registered
317 Posts
bonakdar said:
I admit, that gauge looks real nice but (excuse my ignorance) what purpose does it serve? Isn't it relaying the same info as the boost gauge already installed next to the speadometer?
I remember reading that the boost gauge in the dash doesn't really measure boost, it measuers vacuum pressure or something. I am sure someone with the right answer will come along shortly.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
johnnyrocket said:
I remember reading that the boost gauge in the dash doesn't really measure boost, it measuers vacuum pressure or something. I am sure someone with the right answer will come along shortly.
I don't think we know what it measures. It gets some kind of electrical signal from the ECM.

This may have to do with how the engine compensates for changes in altitude and air density, which is where Trionic technology is supposed to shine. The engine is really controlling air mass. So it might be misleading to show actual boost pressure for that Alpine climb.

Really though, we know the big reason we have what we do is cost!

·
Registered
867 Posts
SeanArc said:
well guys i put in my boost gauge in the other day. real easy instalation (1 hour)...all you do is run your vacuum line through the firewall, i chose to use the grommet behind my pedals that follows the steering linkage it seemed to be the easiest and took 5-10mins, the line i chose to tap into is very noticeable with your engine cover off, its coming off of the fuel rail and is a thin black vacuum hose, once thats teed off all you have to do is decide where you want to mount the gauge, run the wires, and hook up the electrical and ur done. i decided to mount mine on the steering column because i like having it right in front of me. i chose an autometer boost gauge with a silver bezel and silver face, i kno it doesnt match the dash but it does match the metal accents of the interior perfectly...

i cant post the pictures because its saying theyre too large, can anyone help with this?

So whats you reported max boost? Also, do you have any tuning? /edit..ooops bsr

Pity you have stage 2...I'd be interesting to see the stock untuned vs tuned...in fact, does stg2 affect the boost at all?

·
Registered
409 Posts
johnnyrocket said:
-------------------------------
Turbo boost gauge (WIS)

The car is equipped with an electronic turbo boost gauge that provides information on the engine load. The engine control module (ECM) receives information on the current air mass/combustion from the mass air flow sensor, located between the air filter and the intake side of the turbocharger. The engine control module calculates a value corresponding to the engine load and transmits a bus message for indicating the current turbo boost on the P-bus. CIM forwards the message to the I-bus. The main instrument unit displays this value on the turbo boost gauge.

Sounds like it just displays a reading according to what the load is. That is, for a given load, the ECM will request a particular boost pressure using the maps (software). This requested pressure (in the form of an electric signal) is what's displayed on the 'boost gauge' rather than the actual boost pressure. A mechanical boost gauge would be pretty handy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
VectorDan said:
Turbo boost gauge (WIS)

The car is equipped with an electronic turbo boost gauge that provides information on the engine load. The engine control module (ECM) receives information on the current air mass/combustion from the mass air flow sensor, located between the air filter and the intake side of the turbocharger. The engine control module calculates a value corresponding to the engine load and transmits a bus message for indicating the current turbo boost on the P-bus. CIM forwards the message to the I-bus. The main instrument unit displays this value on the turbo boost gauge.

Sounds like it just displays a reading according to what the load is. That is, for a given load, the ECM will request a particular boost pressure using the maps (software). This requested pressure (in the form of an electric signal) is what's displayed on the 'boost gauge' rather than the actual boost pressure. A mechanical boost gauge would be pretty handy.
Good info!

·
Registered
409 Posts
SeanArc, it's hard to see from the photos... I assume the Vacuum scale is in Inches Hg and the positive pressure scale is in psi?

What max boost do you reach with Stage 2? Do you think a scale on the positive side from 0 to 20psi would suffice or have you exceeded that before? (I'd be getting worried if you were pushing over 20psi...)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'm pretty sure seanarc doesn't follow this forum anymore, he lives across the street from me and was looking to sell his 9-3 and replace it with an S4

·
Registered
409 Posts
saab19 said:
I'm pretty sure seanarc doesn't follow this forum anymore, he lives across the street from me and was looking to sell his 9-3 and replace it with an S4
Ahh OK, thanks saab19. I didn't check the thread start date either.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts