SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told that I could get a lot more power out of my 2000 Saab 93 base by simply ramping up my boost. They said I would have to have a boost controller installed. What is that? Can I get one? What benefits will I get? Where can i find one? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was recently told that I could get a lot more power out of my 2000 Saab 93 base by simply ramping up my boost. They said I would have to have a boost controller installed. What is that? Can I get one? What benefits will I get? Where can i find one? Thanks.
A manual boost controller is simply an adjustable pressure valve that controls when the wastegate on the turbocharger opens.

On modern turbocharged engines, the ECU manages the boost pressure with an electrically operated valve (that black thing with three vacuum hoses bolted to the fresh air pipe going to the turbo intake).

Going to a manual valve will eliminate the ECU's control of boost and allow you to increase the amount of power the engine produces.

They are not a perfect solution, but they're inexpensive and easy to install.

For not a lot more money, you can DIY a better solution by re-programming the ECU yourself. There's a freeware package called T7 Suite that will allow you to change the ECU's settings at will. Along with one of a couple different solutions to get the ECU connected to a computer, you can dial in as much power as your car's hardware will support.

·
Registered
606 Posts
if your car is a 2000 then you have a t7 motor and i do not believe you can use a boost controller with that since it will close the throttle body to only let the correct amount of air into the system. you will need to do a tuned ecu i believe.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i am pretty sure the APC system allows the ecu to pull boost when it detects knock and lean condition. putting a MBC eliminates the ability for the ECU to control this. besides with a stock ecu you can only increase 5psi before hitting fuel cut. fuel cut is about 14.5psi+- 1psi

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
MBC doesn't really work on the OP's T7 motor. You can do an SMBC but all you'll get is unlimited spool in 1st & 2nd gear, no increase in boot limit. You will also likely get a CEL sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
disregaurd what i said, i didnt pay attention to the year/ was thinking about another thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts